News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The new UP DD40

Started by Penn_senseless, January 10, 2010, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn_senseless

What is the minimum radius that this new loco will operate on? are there any overhang issues if you have a 2 track mainline with curves (obviously the bigger the better, my guess is dont have curves under 22 inches for appearance sake?

ABC

It will not run on 18" radius from what I've been told and on the Bachmann website I believe it also said a 22" radius minimum.
Quote"Minimum 22" radius curves required"
-quote from a cache of the website from a while ago.
It would probably look better running on a radius larger than 22" and just to be safe be sure to provide extra clearance on your layout, so it does not clip any scenery or other trains.

jward

given the extreme length of this locomotive, i'd run it on as wide radius as possible, and double checque  my clearances to make sure it doesn't hit anything. if you are using it on double track, 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" centers should give you sufficient clearance not to sideswipe passing trains.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbsmith

DD40AX
Those things are Monsters.
I am surprised that the minimum curve radius is NOT MENTIONED in the product description!

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3014

I would play it safe,,22inchers at the very least.

ABC

QuoteI am surprised that the minimum curve radius is NOT MENTIONED in the product description!
It was listed formerly, I found it in a cache of the bachmann home page.