News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

attaching rail/roadbed

Started by karate kid, January 14, 2010, 09:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karate kid

I'm brand new into "N" gauge railroading and looking for suggestions on how to mount track on the fixed gray roadbed to a wooden board.  There don't seem to be any nail holes nor raised sections on the bottom of the roadbed that could be attached with a glue gun.

jward

when i was in N scale, i used a pin vise and a #61 drill bit to drill holes for track nails. i found that plywood is too hard to drive nails with a pair of pliers, and track often didn't have nail holes where i needed them. drilling the pilot holes worked for me, and might for you too.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear karate kid,

Nigel says:

"Hot melt will work well.  An alternate is Aleene's Tacky Glue available in the crafts section at Wal-mart, craft's stores, and on-line.  Either will hold well, yet is fairly easy to remove without damaging the E-Z track."

I suppose a drop every few inches along the outside edge would work...

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

pipefitter

If you use a cork or foam layer under the track to deaden mechanical noise, then you don't want to use track nails or screws, but use glue instead. I had a layout with screws through track and cork into a plywood table and the screws transmitted the noise from the rails to the plywood which resonated with it. I redid the layout with the cork glued down and then the track glued to the cork and the reduction in noise was amazing.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland