News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sodor Layout questions

Started by Chazoroni, April 26, 2007, 08:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chazoroni

Dear Bach-man, I have two questions for you about your Sodor Layout.

How did you make Harold fly (Not literally, but how did you make it fly around the circle propellers moving and the metal thing holding it.)?

Also how long did it take to make the Sodor layout?

Thanks!

-Chaz

r0bert

While I can't answer exactly how long it took to build, Harold is "flown" turned by a motor inside the layout.
The metal rod with Harold on the end turns around.
and how do the rotors spin? they don't.
the rotors have been replaced with clear plastic disks painted to look spinning rotor blades.

the Bach-man

Dear Chaz,
The motor is a multi gear motor from Micro Mark. It's mounted vertically, with a tube soldered to the shaft. The wire holding Harold is brass, and it friction fits in the tube. The end that attaches to Harold is very high-tech... I wrapped some masking tape around the end of the wire and pushed it into a screw recess that was happily located in the center of the airframe. The clear plastic was from a box of carrots in the fridge...
The layout took about six or seven weeks, working many hours a day.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Chazoroni

Thank you Bach-man.  :)  It's good to know that your layout is still out and working, do you think you may expand it sometime once the newer products come in?

train2007

Well i would say no because he would cut the dock yard

Chazoroni

Yeah probably, but who knows we don't know what plans he will have on his layout, he may expand it or not. ;)

the Bach-man

Dear Chaz,
Since the layout is in a fold-up shipping box, there's no real room for expansion.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Chazoroni

Oh okay I get it now, it all makes sense now. ;)

Henryblue

in feet, how big is the layout?

Chazoroni

That's a tough one, I should know this  :P

I think it is a 5 X 3 layout, correct me if I am wrong.

the Bach-man

Dera All,
The layout is 4' x 8'. The shipping box holds our samples and other show necessities, and, when closed up, is slightly larger than 4" x 8'.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Chazoroni

Whoops, I never got my measuring skills right. :P

Henryblue

ooh, 4ft x 8ft, Same as Mine, maybe I can do somthing similar ;)

But I like to do alot of shunting :P arnt i fussy?

I'll have to resort the track plan :-/

desertDrone

Hi Bachmann

Where can I find the Track plans for your thomas layout if there are any ?

Thanks

desertDrone

Hi

I did not do this video but was looking for any information i can on this  layout just wondering if Bachmann had a track plan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNt2dT7YAaw

Thanks

Phil