News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Toys and nothing more?

Started by NarrowMinded, January 17, 2010, 05:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

Quote from: El Loco on January 17, 2010, 09:19:54 AMOne magazine publisher& forum owner  emailed me once degrading me & 0n30 claiming it as "Toys and nothing more"  I beg to differ!

EL Loco,
please don't take this in a bad way, my comment is toward the "Publisher" you quoted.
Aren't all scales "TOYS" so to speak? I have encountered others at shows that have the same attitude, is this a self esteem issue with these types? Do they feel silly if they admit they are playing with Toy Models?
I have seen new people to the hobby turned off by these types because they were scolded for calling a Module/Layout a "Train Set" or Said "Nice Toy Train"  I just don't get it, sure there is a difference in quality between my daughters battery powered Thomas and My on30 locos, but we both make them go in circles, and stop for imaginary passenger schedules and loads.  So really aren't these all just toys?

NM

pdlethbridge

I always thought toys were inexpensive and would hold a child's attention for only a few days.  If my brother and I are playing with toys, so be it. We're having tons of fun and our enjoyment has lasted years and years. Like since the 40's and 50's. Today our toys are much more expensive. For example, I have $3000+ worth of my brothers locos here for decoder installs and other things.  2 brass 4-8-2's and 2 brass 2-10-2's. Boy, those are some nice toys.

Jim Banner

"He who dies with the most toys wins."  And until I do, I am having a ball playing with them.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

az2rail

I was at "O scale West" one year and made the mistake of using the phrase "toy trains". I thought I was going to get punched. It's amazing how sensitive some folk get when you say their trains are toys. My brain tells me that when you run your trains, you are playing with them. And when you play with something, it is a toy.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

terry2foot

Seen on a sign attached to the till/register of a local model shop "the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!".

Says it all,

Terry2foot

Loco Bill

There is also that bumper sticker that says " I still play with toy trains"

Too bad some folks get uptight over such minor things.   In the meantime I definitely love playing with my G Scale toy trains and I am 70 years old with no plans to stop anytime soon!! ;D ;D

Just ignore the grouches
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

jimk4490

What other people think of you is none of your business.

Peace my friend. You are only on this planet but so long.

Johnson Bar Jeff

"The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."  :D  ;)

The last "toy" I bought was a genuine Rivarossi NYC Dreyfuss Hudson. Set me back quite a bit!  :D

ajghear

I second terry2foot comments-some do take things to the extreme, and that's fine.  Give others the freedom to choose what suites them and not pass judgement... ;D
HO scale modeler*brass track*two track parallel mainline w/lots of switching*dcc system=PA2

rich1998

Yes, and some are quit expensive.
Ask our "significant" other, they think we look "cute" playing with our trains.
Lex

glennk28

O Scale West gave you static?  Ever since they moved to Santa Clara they have often shared the convention center with  toy train meet--and recognize each others'  passes.    gj