News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dual Purpose Locos

Started by dayveemac, January 19, 2010, 02:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayveemac

Dear Bachmann,  How about making locos both in saddletank and tender versions?  Mechanism would be the same, making production costs far smaller and giving consumers extra choices.  I would suggest a 2-6-2, but a 2-4-2 would be plausible. Dayvmac

Hamish K

I think this would be a good move, especially for a 2-6-2.  Baldwin catalogue locomotives and/or actual examples could provide a basis. Baldwin built locos on a standardised basis, I am sure that in their catalogues there were tank and tender versions of essentially the same loco. A tender 2-6-2 could be similar to a Maine OF 2-6-2, and various fairly similar tanks (some 0-6-2, some 2-6-2, some with side and some with saddle tanks) operated in Hawaii, Australia (puffing billy 2-6-2t) and other places. Even if all versions modelled were not identical to an actual loco, they would be catalogue locos, and close enough to appeal to a range of modellers.

Bachmann has already used the approach of variations on a basic model, the 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 Porter tanks (sadly not currently available) and the outside and inside frame versions of the 4-4-0 are examples.

rayport

We already have alternate trucks, frame, and pilots plus all the goodies that now come with most new releases. May I take the suggestion one step further and suggest a basic engine with modifiers offered as separate items i.e. an add-on saddle tank, side tanks,
slope-back tender body, Vanderbuilt tender body etc, maybe alternate cabs. This way we could have economical production and a whole range of unique engine for us modellers.

ebtbob

As a fan of the East Broad Top,  I would love to see Bachmann do a 2-6-2 in the On30 scale.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

BIG BEAR

Hello All,
    I would also like to see a 2-6-2 (Prairie), although Standard Ga. I like this one :      http://www.camp5museum.org/#video   
They call her "The 4 Spot"
   I have made the trip to see her a couple times and just love to take the ride.
   I think a Prairie would go oh so good with my 3 Moguls and 2 IF Americans and 2 Trolleys. Yea, I like to keep 'em small.

Enjoy,
          Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

ebtbob

Big Bear,

Do you have any still photos of that engine you can share with us as it is hard to tell what the engine really looks like with the video.   Thanks.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

LurchBird

EBT Bob,
I can't really find a good photo online, but if you take this photo and lighten it a bit, you can get a good idea:

I found it on this site here (not mine):

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/steaminlife2.html

Mark

LurchBird

Quote from: Hamish K on January 19, 2010, 10:15:14 PM
I think this would be a good move, especially for a 2-6-2.  Baldwin catalogue locomotives and/or actual examples could provide a basis. Baldwin built locos on a standardised basis, I am sure that in their catalogues there were tank and tender versions of essentially the same loco. A tender 2-6-2 could be similar to a Maine OF 2-6-2, and various fairly similar tanks (some 0-6-2, some 2-6-2, some with side and some with saddle tanks) operated in Hawaii, Australia (puffing billy 2-6-2t) and other places. Even if all versions modelled were not identical to an actual loco, they would be catalogue locos, and close enough to appeal to a range of modellers.

Bachmann has already used the approach of variations on a basic model, the 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 Porter tanks (sadly not currently available) and the outside and inside frame versions of the 4-4-0 are examples.

Thanks for posting this Hamish. I somehow missed this post last week. Let's keep after them to get a 2-6-2 out!

Mark