News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann turnout

Started by Larry48, January 22, 2010, 12:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry48

Can someone tell me the difference between a WYE turnout 44869 and a regular turnout e.g. 44861.  thanx  larry48

ABC

The wye is a more gradual turnout with two divergent routes and no straight route. The standard turnout is sharper with the divergent route being 18" radius and with a straight route. The wye would be ideal for a reverse loop for example.

Larry48

Thanx for th info. I don't have a large setup (8x4) with multiple turns, circles, etc) for now ( will be made much bigger) but would rather spend a little more $ now than have to spend additional $ later on. i guess i should go with the WYE. also how large of a layout or how many locos would I need if i wanted to purchase a 5 amp booster now. thanx again  larry

Joe Satnik

Dear Larry,

As a general rule, it helps if you mention your scale, especially if you post in the "General" sub-forum. 

Wye turnouts are symmetrical, and are usually used in a wye track configuration (wye, L and R turnouts) for loco turnarounds (short tail-track) or train turnarounds (longer tail-track).   

l main
l
l\Left
l \
l  \_______tail end
l   /Wye
l  /
l /
l/Right
l
l main

Numbered turnouts (e.g. #6) are straight between the frog and the end of the divergent route.  Bachmann's regular (non-numbered) turnouts have a curved divergent route with a specific radius.

I'm surprised that there are no numbered L and R turnouts (in N scale) to complement the numbered wye turnout.

Perhaps those will be the next released. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ABC

Quote from: Larry48 on January 22, 2010, 02:48:04 AMalso how large of a layout or how many locos would I need if i wanted to purchase a 5 amp booster now.
The standard Bachmann E-Z Command DCC System can handle 4 DCC locos (I've run 5 that were all barely drawing any amp). So if you plan on running 6 locomotives or more simultaneously, then you would want to purchase a 5 amp booster, but if you are only going to run 1-4 locos then stick with the E-Z Command.