Need Some Info re: Athearn Freight Car Repairs

Started by BradKT, January 24, 2010, 10:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

I currently am in the process of trying to repair several old Athearn freight cars that were given to me, but I need some information first to see if my idea is doable.  The bodies of the freight cars are in excellent shape and this is why I want to salvage them.   There are 8 cars, so it would make the effort worthwhile.     

What needs to be repaired is that screws that were too large were  originally used to secure the trucks...resulting in trucks that did not swivel as smoothly as they would have had the proper screws been used in the first place.  The holes for the screws (in the bottom of the plastic body of the freight cars) are now too large to use the proper screws that you can get from Athearn, Accurail, etc. 

The idea that I want to try is to fill the screw holes for the trucks with some kind of plastic filler or sealant and then drill out the holes again with the proper sized drill bit. Using the right screws, I can then secure the trucks and will have some good freight cars that I can use.

I have a couple of questions:

(1) what type of plastic are Athearn cars made out of?  I want to use something that will adhere and bond to the plastic inside the holes than I can then re-drill.

(2) does anyone have any suggestion as to what type of filler that I should use?  Epoxy...or what?

RAM

I can't see why anyone would put oversize screws in eight cars.  I could see maybe one car, but not eight.  Are you sure the screws are not just too tight.  You did not say what type of cars you had.  If they are box cars you could use a long screw with a nut and when you have it as tight as it needs to be either put another nut on or some glue to keep it from working loose.

BradKT

Most are hoppers and I don't think that the long screw option (or securing them with a nut) will work for them. 

There were just the wrong sized screws...like small wood screws.  They were too thick in diameter and about 5/8" long.

zachary4179

well that's a problem u used the wrong screws and it messed up the cars  so what u need to do is find something that will fill up the hols u might have to re do the hols for them most hobby shops do carry littel screws for a truck or coupler's that wold work the best i think i done it as well but their working just fine now .

robin

BradKT,

Here's what i did to mount Athearn trucks on Tyco flat cars:  Find some plastic model kit trees – the plastic is very similar to what Athearn uses.  Cut a short section of round plastic rod large enough to snuggly fill the hole you drill in the Athearn frame where the truck mounts.  Use model airplane cement to weld the short rod in the new hole you drilled.  Don't use too much glue or the surrounding plastic will turn to mush and stay that way.  Next day file the area flat about 1/32 of an inch lower than the original height.  Drill and tap for a 2-56 screw (available at radio shack).  Trim a Kadee coupler box that has the flange in the inside and glue that flange centered on your new screw hole.  The kadee flange is a perfect match for the original Athearn flange only just a tad too long.  That is easily trimmed with a file.  If you keep everything square the car should track every bit as well as an unmodified car.

Regards,

Robin

Woody Elmore

You can also take a long, narrow strip of styrene that is wide enough to fit in the hole. Use some plastic cement and when dry use a 2-56 screw in the hole. The plastic should do the trick.

Another alternative is to fill the hole with leftover plastic sprue. This works as well but you end up drilling a hole. Putting the plastic shim in the hole works just as well without the drilling.

Good luck.

rogertra

Find some Plastruct tubing that is the same size as the hole(s) or slightly enlarge the hole(s) for a tight fit of the Plastruct tube.  Cut the Plastruct tube and slide it into the hole(s) and glue in place.  Now use a suitable screw to reattach the truck(s).

Remember, when attaching trucks, one truck should be snug, yet still free to rotate easily and the other truck should be free to wobble a little.  This will give you a three point suspension system and will make your cars track much smoother.   On all my cars, the snug truck is always at the 'B' end, the end with the brake wheel.

CNE Runner

I will frequently purchase 'junk' cars at shows and refurbish them for resale. Many times I have experienced what Brad is experiencing: the use of oversized wood screws instead of a 2-56 screw. I have used some small dowels to fill in the original hole - then drilled it out for a 2-56 (which can be held in place with some CA...the CA has little shear strength so the screw can be removed if desired). Lately I have used Roger's method; which is much easier in the long run. I have purchased some small diameter (O.D.) tubing from Evergreen. This is glued in the original hole and a new screw is then threaded into the styrene. Works great!

Athearn cars are constructed of styrene (which 'flavor' styrene I don't know). The older cars (...and I am dating myself here) had Zamac floors that were similar in construction as the older Roundhouse kits.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

BradKT

Thank you.  You guys made some great suggestions...as always.

uncbob

Or if you have some plastic kits around the sprue that holds the parts can be used
If too big sand down then using the plastic cement fill the hole

BradKT

Rogertra's solution worked beautifully!

I got some Plastruct 1/8" styrene tubing, drilled out the holes in the body of the freight cars so the tubing could be inserted and glued it in place.  I made it extend the same length as the original mounting points on the freight car body.  The inner hole in the tubing is narrow enough to accommodate and grip the proper size screw (2-56).  I then got a few replacement underbody frames from Athearn (they usually cost 2@$3.00), replaced the old underframes, mounted the trucks and screwed them in place. 

Now that I know that this method works, all I have to do is to remove the trucks and underframes, paint the new styrene the same color as the body and put the underframe and trucks back on.

Thanks again everyone!