News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Conversion

Started by santafe, January 28, 2010, 07:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

santafe

How do you convert a DC engine that's not DCC ready to DCC? ???

ABC

You have to isolate the motor, and then hard-wire a decoder into the engine by soldering the 8 different wires to the appropriate/desired contacts. Often times with older locomotives it is not very practical due to issues with the motor or difficulty isolating the motor, but almost any HO locomotive can be converted, it just takes more time and work for some than others.

Jim Banner

Some are hard, others are quite easy.  None are impossible.   What do you want to convert (manufacturer and model?)

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

santafe

Quote from: Jim Banner on January 28, 2010, 08:28:33 PM
Some are hard, others are quite easy.  None are impossible.   What do you want to convert (manufacturer and model?)

Jim
I was thinking a Bachmann Standard Line GS-4 and a Rivarossi Challenger.

ABC

Quote from: santafe on February 05, 2010, 03:55:56 PMI was thinking a Bachmann Standard Line GS-4 and a Rivarossi Challenger.
I think the GS-4 is split frame. The challenger would be dependent on when it was made/ the type of motor etc...

mort

I have a new bachmann emd gp 40 I want to conver to dcc, what do I need to do?  mort 

ABC

Possible solutions: Return your Gp-40 and buy one that Already has DCC or Buy a digitrax  DZ123, 146 decoder or the like. Buy a soldering iron, buy compatible solder, isolate the motor from everything else hardwire the decoder as desired.