News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Walters HO 130' or 90' Turntable

Started by lescar, January 31, 2010, 12:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lescar

I really want to add a turntable to my layout, my layout is going to mainly consist of a Maintenance facility's  and a yard setting.  I have already up-ed the size for the layout to 10' X ether 4' or 5' feet or wider to accommodate the turntable and buildings, still deciding.

The question I have pertain to which one to get for the engines I'll be running, It will primarily be Diesel with a few Steam Loco's 2-8-0 and or 2-8-2 sizes.  They should handle the curves alright, which will be 26's and 22's for the main line and the smallest my be 18's for inside the yard area.

Also the turntables come with code 83 track and I'll be using the Bachmann EZ-Track NS, can the track be changed on the turntable or will I need the Walters transition track (948-897).  And how would this be worked into the EZ-Track layout with out making it look bad.

Thanks  :)
Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

jonathan

I can't speak to the turntable.  However,  the transition from code 83 track to EZ (code 100) is relatively easy.  Just matter of shimming the 83 track to line up with the top of the rails on the code 100.  You can fudge and squeeze on the code 100 rail joiners to get a tight fit on the code 83.  Once everything is weathered and ballasted, most observers won't notice the transition from one code to to the other.  Not hard once you've tried it.  Oh, and regular track with cork roadbed lines up well to the EZ track.

Regards,

Jonathan 

Nigel

Quote from: lescar on January 31, 2010, 12:05:26 PM
........ Steam Loco's 2-8-0 and or 2-8-2 sizes.  They should handle the curves alright, which will be 26's and 22's for the main line and the smallest my be 18' for inside the yard area

Les;

I am going to assume you mean 26" (inches) and not 26' (feet).  All of us would love to have space for an HO layout where the minimum radius was 18 feet.

That said, the 90 foot turntable is more than enough for 2-8-0/2-8-2 locomotives, especially anything that will not look absolutely horrible on 18" radius.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

RAM

Track on the turntable and around it are flat.  quite often only the top of the rail showing. 

lescar

Quote from: Nigel on January 31, 2010, 02:49:50 PM
I am going to assume you mean 26" (inches) and not 26' (feet).  All of us would love to have space for an HO layout where the minimum radius was 18 feet.

That said, the 90 foot turntable is more than enough for 2-8-0/2-8-2 locomotives, especially anything that will not look absolutely horrible on 18" radius.

Actually I didn't specify Feet or inche's, the marks are apostrophe's for the S's

Dose that include the tender connected or is that just the engine.

EDITED: added apostrophe (could not remember the name earlier) ;)

Thanks  :)
Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

Jhanecker2

If you are going to drop $300 for a Walters Turntable go for the 130 Scale Feet . If I get a turntable  it is going to have to be a 130 feet  my  4-8-4 with tender measures 14.5 inches.
I believe a 90 scale foot turntable is only 12".   Could be an interesting thing to build by kitbashing bridges and smaller turntables.  John II