News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Some Superliner Questions

Started by Michigan Railfan, February 08, 2010, 04:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

Ok, I'm planning on having a Superliner train, but need some advice first. The train I'm planning on have is Amtrak's Empire Builder. So, here go the questions.
       First, some real-life questions about the Empire Builder
1. Does the Empire Builder include baggage cars and Auto cars?
2. Is there a mix of different phases of cars in the train?
3. Which phase is most common with this train? Phase V for the engines, and Phase IVB for the cars right?
4. The train is usually pulled by 3 P42's right?

Now for some model questions

5. Does any manufacturer make dummy P42's?
6. Does any manufacturer make baggage cars?
7. Does any manufacturer make any powered P42's, now that Athearn cancelled their phase V ones?

Any help is appreciated.

jonathan

B1Fan,

The phase V P42s made by Athearn/Walthers, are not cancelled.  They are a limited run item.  In other words, there is an announcement about their upcoming release, at which time you can order one or more.  They usually offer two numbers to choose from.  They probably make about as many that are ordered, perhaps a few more for the last minute folks who want one.  Once the 'in stock' announcement is made, they tend to sell out quickly.  Then, about a year later, the cycle starts over again.

I ordered mine 6 months in advance.

I wanted it because I actually see #55 go past my office every now and then.

As far as passenger cars go, I have seen different phases in the same consist. So, anything is possible.  That's about it for my Amtrak knowledge.  I really wanted a commuter train, but all commuter cars I've tried roll terribly.  So, one-at-a-time, I'm putting together some Superliner cars (roll better).  They are expensive, hence, the slow collection.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards,

Jonathan

Michigan Railfan

Thanks, Jonathan. My collection's going to take alot of time too. The Empire Builder (the train I'm going to model) has 2 (sometimes 3) P42's and 12 superliners. A limited run item? That's interesting. Modeltrainstuff.com only has 1 number, so, not sure what I'm going to do there, since I don't know how to renumber locomotives. I'm only going to order one for now, since I only have 2 superliners and also the fact I'm going to a hobby shop this weekend, and I'm on a sort of tight budget. Really hoping mts doesnt go out of stock of their P42's by friday; that's when I get to order one. Are the P42's good runners? I assume so because its by Walthers and Athearn; both very good manufacturers. Can they maintain a steady slow speed? How many cars can they pull do you know? Just wondering if two of them could pull 12 superliners.
Thanks Again,
Jake

jonathan

I'm sure two P42s could pull 12 superliners with ease.  If you don't plan to put lights in the passenger cars, you could take out the power pick ups on the wheels, and the cars would be even more easy-rolling... probably not necessary. 

The guts of the P42 is along the Athearn Genesis drive train type, so they run very well.  I haven't run a slow moving test, yet.  I tend to run (DC) at around 50% power.  Any slower, and I get bored watching the trains creep.  That's just me.  They are DCC ready.  I have had to double head when pulling the commuter type cars. Those cars ride on the inside axle and don't roll worth a lick.  I run the Atlas Dash 8 (Ph V Pepsi Can) with the P42 to pull 6-8 commuter cars... not prototypical at all, but it looks attractive.  These two locos operate on opposite coasts.

Just picked up my first Superliner car (observation).  I plan to detail the interior, as you can see in the windows quite well.  No plan for lights thus far.

R,

Jonathan

Michigan Railfan

Jonathan,
Thanks again for the info. I was actually considering putting lights in my superliners with Walthers' lighting kit (http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-6004), but when I read the instructions that came with the superliner on how to put in the lights, I decided not to. You need a special tool, and by the pictures, it seems that the car shell could snap easily. I may consider it in the future, but not right now. Another factor that might keep me from putting lights in, is that my first superliner is an older model, so I would'nt be able to put lights in it.
I also get kinda bored when trains are running slower than a certain speed. I like to think what a guy at a hobby shop told me, "if an engine runs well slow, then it runs good at any speed."
The Dash 8 and P42 run on different coasts? Which coasts do each run on? Just curious. I'm aware that Athearn's Genesis drive is pretty good. My friend has a Genesis SD70. It's a great runner.
Thanks
Jake

jonathan

The Dash 8 is a California engine.  I have seen pics of #505 running up and down the west coast. 

Just took the shell off my superliner (sleeper).  It was a little scary at first, but now that I've done it, it will be much easier the second time.  Painting the interior right now.  Plan to add a few figures as well.  Want to tackle an observation car next.

Regards,

Jonathan

Michigan Railfan

Hmm. Sometimes P42's run in California, right? I know the Empire Builder runs from Chicago to Seattle and Portland. Thats close enough for me to consider that the West Coast, well, because it is.
Just ordered a P42 from modeltrainstuff.com. I can't wait until it gets here. They say their shipping department is delayed because of the snowstorm the past days, so it might take a little longer to deliver here. :( I want it to arrive by the weekend, but I know it wont.
So, taking off the shell to a superliner isnt that hard? Do you absolutely need the special tool? Or could a knife or something like that work too? I plan on eventually adding lights to my superliner cars, but not right now.
Jake

jonathan

There are instructions included for removing the shell.  Basically, you need to remove the coupler mechanisms.  Careful, there are some small parts that could hop off the bench if you're not paying attention.  Then you spread the shell a little, with a hobby knife, tooth picks, jeweller's screwdrivers, etc... something small.  Again, be carefull.  It's just as easy to separate the glazing from the windows, as it is to actually spread the shell.  There is some kind of weak glue that will release pretty easily when you spread the shell.  The shell will not want to come off easily--just take your time--slow and gentle movements is the key.  It will come off eventually.  I'm talking about the newest version of the superliners.  Don't know anything about the old ones.

I never once saw a P42/AMD103, when I lived in CA for three years.  They could be there, just never saw one.

Regards,

Jonathan

Michigan Railfan

Hmm. Interesting. So, pretty much anything small to take off the shell? Would a flathead screwdriver or putty knife work? Small parts, do you mean just with the coupler mechanisms, or with taking off the shell in general? Sorry for all the questions. I just want my superliner consist to be as real as possible. Can't wait for my P42 to arrive. Chances are, it'll arrive sometime next week, although I wanted it to be here by the weekend. Although, I do have Monday and Tuesday off of school, so maybe it'll come one of those two days, or hopefully sunday. On modeltrainstuff.com, they said as of today, they're shipping orders that were place on Sunday, Feb 7th. I just ordered mine today, so hopefully they'll be shipping it in the next couple of days.
Thanks,
Jake

jonathan

It's OK, Jake.  I'll share what I know, which isn't much.  I'm just one step ahead of you.

Here is the interior of the car:

I wasn't too careful on the paint job.  The view through the green, plastic glass is a little obstructed, so no one will see if you made sharp lines.  I used a dark grey on the deck, a cream color on the walls, and blue for the seats.  Oh, and the sinks and cabinets are aluminum, just because I had those colors lying around.

Painting and mounting a couple dozen people is next for me.  I grabbed the cheapest people I could find.  I will have to be more careful and detailed when I tackle the observation car--lots more big windows.

Here's the little coupler parts I was mentioning:

Watchout.  They are small and hard to see.  Everything is black under the car. 

I used small, flathead screwdrivers and a hobby knife to release the shell.  As I mentioned before, go slowly and be careful of the window glazing.

Hope that helps.

Jonathan

Michigan Railfan

I'll have to get a hobby knife when I go to the store this weekend. The interior of the car seems pretty well detailed. I guess I'll have to be sure to put the coupler parts in a safe place when I take off the shell. Cant wait to finally see my P42 pulling superliners. I just hope Athearn comes out with more, because I still need one more.

jonathan

Jake,

The sleeper car is a good one to start with as an experiment.  If things don't turn out well, it's hard to see the interior, so goofs won't show.

I found it just as difficult to put back together as it was to take apart.  Go slow.

I used regular white glue to hold the figures in place.  Can take out figures later if you want to change things, AND there is no risk of fogging up the windows.

Here are some shots of the figures painted and in place.  Also a few shots of what it looks like with the shell back on.  As you can see, it's hard to make out the figures and the interior paint.  Was it worth it?  Well, it looks better than the translucent tan that the interior started with.  Judge for yourself...

Oh, one more thing:  I had to cut off the feet of the standing figures, to get them to fit.

Regards,

Jonathan

Michigan Railfan

Thanks for the help, Jonathan. I'm gonna try and take off the shell to one of my superliners this weekend.
Well, even though I had a snow day yesterday, I hate this blizzard thats hitting the east coast. My P42 is REALLY delayed right now. Model Train Stuff won't begin shipping things until tomorrow, and they'll still be shipping orders from last sunday. Expecting it to arrive in the middle of the week. About 2 weeks from now though. Wanted it to arrive this weekend, because I'm going to the hobby shop, and am probably going to buy a superliner, and I have monday and tuesday off of school. Oh well, I just wish this snowstorm never came.

jonathan

Jake,

Just finished the observation car.  This will be the last one until I can hit another train show.  I find the superliner cars more affordable at train shows.

On this car I used some Kibri figures; 30 figures for around $13.  That's less than 50 cents a person, less than usual.  They have prepainted legs, torsos and heads.  Only painting required is skin for hands and legs, AND shoes.  Up close Kibri figures look like zombies because they have no faces, but inside a passenger car, from a couple of feet away, they work fine.

First shot is a normal view.  Follow-on pics are up close, so you can see the zombies taking over the train.  Enjoy:

Regards,

Jonathan

Michigan Railfan

The observation car looks great, Jonathan. I too have only 2 superliners, an observation car and a coach/baggage.
So, just to clear up, is the P42 quiet? Just wondering because I just bought an Athearn AC4400, and its so noisy I'm taking it back to the store I bought it from. I might eventually put lights in my superliners, so I'm probably not going to take out the electrical pick ups in the trucks. I just hope my P42 runs really good. I can't get one back from modeltrainstuff.com because they're out of them. Hope it runs good.
Thanks,
Jake