News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Two engines and DCC

Started by Pushrod, February 09, 2010, 05:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushrod

I have two Bachmann engines, a 3 truck Shay and a Baldwin 2-8-0, both with DCC. The Shay runs one direction on the track, when I put the Baldwin on it goes in the opposite direction. Is there something I need to change on the engines to get them running in the same direction when the throttle is in Forward control or is the is DCC setting that needs changed? These both came with factory installed DCC.
Thanks for any help.

ABC

You can change the locomotive's relative direction using your E-Z command. This will also allow you to double-head your units in consist with one facing forward and the other reverse.

full maxx

yeah you should have got a dvd with the dcc system , you will find the directions there
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jward

you are assuming the he is using ez command.  he never did tell us which system he is using.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Pushrod

Its a Digitrax Zephyr all in one system. There is a CD that came with the system that describes operation. It is still all a bit over my head, but slowly sinking in. So the encoder would need to be programed on one of the engines to get it to go in the same direction as the other engine? You can't run the Shay and the Baldwin double headed, as the Shay is geared much lower and very slow.

Chris350

Quote from: Pushrod on February 09, 2010, 09:11:38 PM
Its a Digitrax Zephyr all in one system. There is a CD that came with the system that describes operation. It is still all a bit over my head, but slowly sinking in. So the encoder would need to be programed on one of the engines to get it to go in the same direction as the other engine? You can't run the Shay and the Baldwin double headed, as the Shay is geared much lower and very slow.
Short answer yes.  These locos are both still at default address 03 are they not?  Once you read far enough into the manuals you will come to the programming section.  Once the locos have different addresses, it doesn't matter how they are set up directionally with regards to one another.   Each locomotive will only respond to throttle control based on a unique address once you program them that way.  You will want to set both to any other address than 03.  Many use the cab number as a simple nemonic.  But 1,2,4 etc also works.  So say the Shay is 1 and the baldwin is 2.  You set the Zephyr to address 1 to control the Shay.  Once it's cruising along, you change to address 2 for the Baldwin and run it as you choose.  In the meantime the Shay just keep chugging along where you last set it, until you re-aquire it's address and change it's operating state.  This ability to easily control multiple locomotives is the big draw of DCC.

jward

the digitrax zephyr has trouble programming bachmann decoders. you'll need a 1k ohm resistor across the rails of your programming track in order for it to read and program the decoder.

i believe it is cv29 that controls locomotive direction. they refer to it as normal direction of travel, or ndot. whatever value you program in for this cv will control ndot. an even number gives a forward ndot, odd gives reverse ndot. i use this feature all the time setting up my early diesels to run long hood forward.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA