Dear Bachmann: Stepney The Bluebell Engine

Started by therailwayinspector, March 02, 2010, 05:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

therailwayinspector

Having seen threads for Duck, and the scottish twins, I thought it a good idea to do one for my favourite engine of the series

STEPNEY THE BLUEBELL ENGINE

Why make Stepney?

Stepney was introduced in season 4 and instantly became a favourite character, being given a small number of episodes within the season and then again in season 5, with some minor cameos in later series'.

Stepney is based on an LBSC Terrier loco at the Bluebell Railway in Sussex, England, which this year celebrates its 50th Birthday. Although it wouldn't be released until next year earliest if it went ahead, it would also be a great mark for one of the oldest engines and would be a great hit with thomas fans alike.

Another reason is this:
Yes, Hornby have made Stepney, but he is just a terrier with a face and is the price of one too. Bachmann have a knack for modelling to the TV series and being remarkably accurate too. This with the moving eyes would make the model a hit in my opinion!

I hope you really consider making Stepney, and if you do, please model his season 4 face as apposed to his CGI face.
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

TobyTheTram16

Cheeky_ULP

I personally don't think Stepney is recognized enough. He's had about.. 5 episodes starring him, and then a few cameos and minor roles. Engines like Edward, Spencer, Bill and Ben, etc. have had more episodes and more roles to claim for, while also more recognized by the young generation.

The Chaz Storm

I personally would very much like to see Stepney come out.... but he is unlikely as Sparks pointed out.  However if it were to happen, I'd be pretty happy with it since despite the Hornby Stepney being a great model it does have a few errors....

jettrainfan

but, stephany is probably known by every train lover in the UK. So in ways, he's popular.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: jettrainfan on March 03, 2010, 08:30:15 PM
but, stephany is probably known by every train lover in the UK. So in ways, he's popular.
But Bachmann sells to the US market.

Anthony P2

ya but he's probably talking about the real Stepney

jettrainfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Cheeky_ULP

panniertankboy8751

Well hold on a second:

QuoteNot only are they introducing these new products, but they are introducing Thomas & Friends all over the world! They announced a licensing agreement with HIT Entertainment through which Bachmann is granted rights to distribute Thomas & Friendsā„¢ HO and Large Scale products in new territories around the world. Bachmann is very pleased to be expanding such a wonderful product line and introducing Thomas the Tank Engineā„¢ to new aspiring engineers worldwide!

:P

Cheeky_ULP

Which if you read, did NOT include the UK.

Hornby still has the liscence to HO/OO models. Bachmann can only sell Large Scale Thomas in the UK.

The reality is Stepney isn't profitable, whether he has a minor fan base or not.

therailwayinspector

Quote from: Sparks on March 04, 2010, 11:34:39 PM

Hornby still has the liscence to HO/OO models. Bachmann can only sell Large Scale Thomas in the UK.

Actually, any shop in the UK can import the models if they wish, only one (trains on time) chooses too. Hornby just have the license to be the UK manfufacturer of the range
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

The Chaz Storm

There is something that your post regarding Stepney is missing and that would be profitable reasons for Bachmann to come out with Stepney.  To be honest there really isn't much of a profitable reason other then the fact a lot of the older Thomas fans would buy it.  If that were the case for Bachmann people would be posting threads about Boco and Daisy..

With Duck it was easier and in some ways had more common sense then Stepney does.  Such as Duck sharing the same chassis as Donald and Douglas, and being Sodor engine #8 while Bachmann has produced 1-7, 9 and 10.  Heck there is more reason behind making Oliver coming out then Stepney at this point.

Hope I'm not sounding discouraging or anything like that because like I said before I myself would like to see Stepney come out myself since he is one of my favorite characters...pretty close to Duck actually. 

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: therailwayinspector on March 06, 2010, 01:00:17 PM

Actually, any shop in the UK can import the models if they wish, only one (trains on time) chooses too. Hornby just have the license to be the UK manfufacturer of the range
You can probably count the amount of shops in the UK that do import with your fingers, compared to a number of shops that litter the country...

And it doesn't mean they're supposed to either. I wouldn't think it's illegal, but by default Hornby still has the rights. Not Bachmann.

StanierJack

Quote from: Sparks on March 06, 2010, 08:44:52 PM
Quote from: therailwayinspector on March 06, 2010, 01:00:17 PM

You can probably count the amount of shops in the UK that do import with your fingers, compared to a number of shops that litter the country...

And it doesn't mean they're supposed to either. I wouldn't think it's illegal, but by default Hornby still has the rights. Not Bachmann.

Basically, in the UK, Bachmann can support the G scale range but cannot sell the HO range. This means that the HO models are gray-market imports, from US wholesalers/retaillers.

As for Stepney, I doubt it. For real modellers, there is the Dapol/Hornby Terrier, and for HO/OO there is the Hornby model of said locomotive.