News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

traction problems with the 4-4-0 engines.

Started by sailaweigh94, March 04, 2010, 09:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailaweigh94

I have had 4 of the 4-4-0 Steam engines in N guage and I could not get them to pull themselves much less a train.  I changed the traction tires, cross sanded the tracks with 220 and still nothing.  Am I missing something?  To say the least I have disassembled that layout and am going modern.  Any help out there?

skipgear

Keep in mind this is a very small loco. It would have only pulled at most 4-5 cars.

That said, mine will pull roughly 8-10 cars on level, 4-5 up a grade. The biggest issue with these is break in. They need a good hour or two of runtime by themselves in both directions at varying speeds to get the most out of them.

What kind of train length are you expecting and what kind of grades if any?

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

ABC

My UP 4-4-0 pulls my 5 Union Pacific coaches plus my 5 Central Pacific coaches on a level grade, but that is its max. You're 4-4-0's are likely not from the latest run, or you've had extremely bad luck. I broke in my loco for about 2 and a half hours.

James in FL

Hi sailaweigh94,

Double check the wheel sets on all your rolling stock, make sure they are all free rolling.

Good Luck

sailaweigh94

Thanks to all for the replies.  These are older engines and have run quite a long time but not with a load.  I only could pull the 3 Union Pacific coaches if any.  I had a level layout with wide turns.  They tracked all right but could not pull.  As I said I even went through the battle of new traction tires.  Still didn't help.

ABC

I've noticed that my new 4-4-0 pulls a lot better than several older 4-4-0's at my local museum. So maybe try getting some new 4-4-0's if at all possible...

brokemoto

Some of the older ones, especially those with the drive shafts that have the hexagonal ends, could barely get out of their own way.

B-mann did improve these over the years.  The last issues that came in the cardboard box and the issues that came in the plastic box are not bad, considering what they are.

You must spend hours breaking in these things.  Also, they do not like plastic frog switches, but that is typical of all short wheelbase N scale power.

I like those that I have, except for the one that has the hexagonal end driveshaft that can not get out of its own way.

sailaweigh94

Again thanks for the replies.  I just received a new tender for my 4-4-0 and it is so  different than mine.  I must have the original proto type.  I also see the tracton tires are black.  Mine are clear.  The new ones must be softer rubber to grip more.  I will order the wheel sets and see if that helps.