News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to HO - DCC

Started by RonPoinsett, March 18, 2010, 12:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiiho

I am running Dynamis on one of my layouts. I have units with several different decoders, including more than a dozen with Bachmann decoders.
They are all running fine at the 128 speed setting.

I would probably give Bachmann Tech Support a call.

Jim Banner

ABC,
That looks about right but I am left wondering about the last line
"LOC 269 1/128"
I am not sure why the first "1" is there.

Now that we know how you set your Dynamis to get it to send 128 speed step commands to your locomotive #269, could you please tell us how you set locomotive #269 to receive 128 speed step commands?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

I changed CV29 Bit number 2 to 1 just to be sure, and the default value for this bit is supposed to be 1. Bit=1 means 28/128 and Bit=0 means 14/27

Jim Banner

I am a little confused over which bit numbering scheme you are using, and you Dynamis might be too.  Bachmann uses the Lenz bit numbering scheme, 1 through 8.  The other DCC manufacturers use the bit numbering scheme used in computers and mathematics, 0 through 7.  If you tell your Dynamis to set bit 2, it will set CV29 for automatic analogue conversion which is bit 3 in the Bachmann/Lenz numbering scheme.  To set bit 2 of the Bachmann/Lenz numbering scheme, you would have to tell your Dynamis to set bit 1.

Most DCC systems, including the Zephyr I use, do not allow you to change CV's at the bit level.  So I would end up programming CV29 = 6.  This sets bits 1 and 2 (standard numbering scheme) or bits 2 and 3 (Bachmann/Lenz number scheme) and clears all the other bits.  This sets the decoder to analogue conversion enabled and 18/128 speed steps enabled.  Perhaps setting CV29 = 6 will solve your problem.  I hope you will let us know.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hawaiiho

I tried several Locos, both Bachmann and other brand decoders.

They all displayed 0/128 or for some reason some were 0/126.

The 0 is obviously a speed step, as increasing the throttle indicates the

advancing speed steps.

ABC

My friend's system could program individual bits, but my Dynamis can't, I was using what I had my friend put in with his system where bit 2 corresponds to the speed steps I think.
Here's what I did with my dynamis
Program LOC 269
ON SERVICETRACK
I set the value contained in the CV29 to 6 (and I added 1 to the bit)
POS CV 29 CFG
[<>VALUE]
VAL 6
[PROG] then my chosen value is written to the decoder hopefully