News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to HO - DCC

Started by RonPoinsett, March 18, 2010, 12:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonPoinsett

I am interested in the Bachmann Consolidation (Product 51302) and have a couple of questions: (1) is this item part of the Spectrum line of products?
(2) Is the DCC compatible with 128 speed steps? (3) what is the max current draw on this engine?
Any thoughts appreciated.

ABC

The item was formerly in the spectrum line, and the spectrum version is still readily available from many sources. The new version is part of the standard line and runs completely identical except it is less expensive. The bachmann decoder does not support 128 speed steps only 14/28, but you can add a decoder of your choice. The loco has an 8-pin socket for the decoder. The max current draw is likely around a couple of tenths to half a tenth.

Jim Banner

By "maximum current" I presume you mean "stall current" which is the maximum current the motor can draw when 12 volts is applied and the motor is restrained from turning.  This is the current you need to know when selecting decoders.  For this locomotive, it is usually close to 1 amp.  So a 1 amp should be adequate.

If you are thinking of buying a new decoder to get 128 speed steps, I would suggest making sure it also has BEMF (Back Electro Motive Force) control.  This will allow slow, smooth starts just like the real thing.  I am assuming your Command Control system uses 128 speed step control and lets you program all CV's.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

the Bach-man

Dear ABC,
Actually, I believe our decoders do support 128 speed steps.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ABC

Quote from: the Bach-man on March 21, 2010, 08:04:39 AM
Dear ABC,
Actually, I believe our decoders do support 128 speed steps.
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Really? When I was messing around with my dynamis a few weeks ago, I tried to change one of my Bachmann locos to 128, but it wouldn't work, so I just thought it was because it wasn't supported. I'll have to try it out with a different loco. Thanks for letting me know Mr. Bach-man!

...I just read the 1 amp decoder instructions and it is there plain as day, supports 14/27,28/128.

Pacific Northern

And it is so easy to check the product  if you do not know the answer.
Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on March 21, 2010, 08:56:44 PM
And it is so easy to check the product  if you do not know the answer.
As it turns out, none of my Bachmann locos that still have the Bachmann decoder in them will work with 128 speed steps however some of my Proto 2000 and Athearn locos that have MRC, digitrax, and other company's decoders in them all work with the 128 speed steps. It doesn't make any sense, oh well, it doesn't bother me that much anyway.

Jim Banner

Quote from: ABC on March 21, 2010, 09:53:08 PM
As it turns out, none of my Bachmann locos that still have the Bachmann decoder in them will work with 128 speed steps.

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, did you change the speed step rating in the locomotive's roster entry after changing its decoder to 128 speed steps?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

I switched everything there was to change to 128 speeds steps the same as I did for all my other locos. There may be no explanation as to why this is happening.

mod362002

Is the plug in port RJ-12 on a EZ digital command connector ?

mf5117

ez command 1 amp locomotive decorders      14,27,28,128 speed steps

pdlethbridge

I use the NCE power cab and its always on 128 step and my bachmann units, all 5 of them, run very well on the 128 steps.

ABC

Quote from: ABC on March 21, 2010, 11:57:37 AM
...I just read the 1 amp decoder instructions and it is there plain as day, supports 14/27,28/128.
Quote from: mf5117 on March 22, 2010, 01:36:05 PM
ez command 1 amp locomotive decorders      14,27,28,128 speed steps
Yes, I am aware that they support 128 speed steps, I noted that in the 5th post, I'm just noting that for some reason it is not working with my Dynamis, but I don't really care that much, so there is no need to pursue this further.

pdlethbridge

Let me take a final comment. On my power cab is a button at the bottom that I can use to switch between 28 and 128 speed steps. Does your dynamis have something similar?

ABC

Here's what I do...
[MENU] scroll to
EDIT SPEED LOC 269 DECAPOD
[ACCEPT] SET SPEEDSTEPS
Scroll 14 / 28/ 128 speedsteps
I Choose 128
[ACCEPT]
The Screen now shows
LOC 269 1/128
DECAPOD

There is no switch on the controller for 28/128, and this doesn't explain why it works with my MRC, digitrax and other decoders and not my Bachmann decoders.