News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

power supply

Started by maartin, May 09, 2007, 10:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maartin

Hi there!
I have recently started with this amazing hobby and have bought my first bachman train. I spotted some good deals on athearn locos yesterday on a sale, and was told that these trains are compatible with the bachman system. I was told by an enthusiast that athearn trains run on 12v DC, and bachman trains run on 16vAC. This sounds totally incompatible to me!!!
Is it OK to run on 16v , or should I return it for a refund?
Please help!
Martin

THB-DAVE

Hi Martin; you do not have to return your Athearn engine and your "enthusiast " friend does not know of what he speaks. All HO scale DC engines sold in North America will run on any modern DC power pack. Peak DC voltage may vary but it will not damage your Engine. For sound equiped engine you will want to use a newer MRC Tech4 pack or my power pack of choice the MRC 9500 which puts out 2.5 amps.

David

ebtbob

Martin,

Dave is correct.  All HO scale engines,  regardless of manufacturer will run on anyones power pack.  The power packs put DC current into the rails.  I think,  the mention of Bachmann trains and 16 volts AC is a reference to engines that have a DCC decoder installed.   Most DCC systems put between 12-16 volts AC current in the rails.
       You need to learn the difference between engines that are run on DC as opposed to DCC.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

maartin

Thanks guys!
As a beginner, even at the age of 48, one has to learn about a new hobby!
Great place to get info i need, though!
Thanks,
Maartin

Bojangle

My Bachmann locos are DCC equipped, but run just fine on DC.  I have read that some DCC locos are not backward compatible, and need to have a plug installed.  So does my loco have an internal rectifier  to change the AC to DC for the motor when using DCC controller? Curious
Bojangle

Jim Banner

Quote from: Bojangle on May 12, 2007, 12:32:02 AM
... does my loco have an internal rectifier  to change the AC to DC for the motor when using DCC controller? ...
Bojangle

Among a large number of other things, yes.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Bojangle

My question was over simplified, but I appreciate the direct answer. I am a "no spin" kinda guy trying to make sense of all this new technology.  At first I was afraid model trains would get boring, but for me it seems like a lifetime of learning.  I envy you being in the hobby so long.

Back to the topic "power supplies", I suppose you could use a car battery and rheostat with proper current limiting (light bulb).
Bo

maartin

Hi guys!
I now have two althearn trains due to an incredible sell-out sale at my local hobby shop. I have the standard bachman power supply(supplied with the train sets) and obviously running the two locos from this supply results in a drastic reduction in speed and power. What bachman power pack should I upgrade to? One loco is DCC equipped, and the other is DC. Can I install a DCC system to my growing layout with these odd locos? I must admit, that it is fun diverting the trains to other lines as it is now, as I have a continuous running track with 4 turnouts resulting in 3 ovals!
Martin

Jim Banner

Quote from: Bojangle on May 12, 2007, 01:44:06 AM
... I suppose you could use a car battery and rheostat with proper current limiting (light bulb)...
Bo

That was actually used in the early days of H0 and is the reason that the original H0 trains ran on 6 volts dc, the same as car batteries of the day.  My first heavy duty throttles (heavy duty compared to what came with train sets) used power transistors and were powered by a battery charger.  And yes, DCC on board locomotives would run just fine on these controllers as long as the battery or battery charger is 12 volts.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Bojangle

I have read some cautions that  you need to be careful running your DC analog locos on DCC power.  DCC applies full voltage to the tracks at all times,  if the analog loco sits for too long it might overheat.  Most DCC has a buttonfor one analog loco, usually #10 on the Bachmann.  I haven't used my DCC yet, just a warning I have heard
Bo

ebtbob

Maartin,

You asked, " What bachman power pack should I upgrade to? One loco is DCC equipped, and the other is DC. Can I install a DCC system to my growing layout with these odd locos?
       First of all,  no matter what powerpack you use,  you will still see a reduction in speed etc.  Any upgrade in powerpack will only allow you to do more with the pack before it overheats and shuts itself down for protection.
       Can you  install a DCC system,  yes.   The one thing to remember is what Bojangle mentioned about your anolog engine,  the one without DCC.   You can run it on a DCC system,  but do not let it sit still to long because - not might,  but will overheat and ruin the motor.   When not using the analog engine you would be served to completey remove it from the railroad to protect it.   You could establish a track that you can kill the power to,  but be careful not to energize the track for the above reason.   Also note,  when running an anolog engine on a DCC system,  the engine will emit a buzzing type sound.  This normal and does not indicate damage being done to the motor.
       One of the best things you can do if you are considering going DCC is to join one of the Yahoo groups for DCC.   The groups are free and a great source of information.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

r.cprmier

In Yon Olden Day", when one used a Lionel Xformer for HO, one also used a selenium rectifier.
Now, as a young boy, I didn't know a rectifier from an inner tube, but times so bring with them improvements. 

I think your friend had some wires crossed...12VDC for DC controlled trains, and 16VAC for decoder-equipped trains-but you must use a processor with the latter.  If yo uare going to go this route, some reading is going to be in order for you.  I suggest you become fairly comfortable with electrical theory and the how and why for what respective power source you will ultimately use.
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!