News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switching out trucks

Started by usmc03, March 22, 2010, 01:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usmc03

Hi,

I have the McKinnley Explorer set and would like to change out the trucks so they are metal wheels.  I have already tried taking the plastic ones of and putting in metal ones but that didn't work so well. 

Does anyone know where I can get these trucks and what type do I need to get? Also, is there a diagram on how to take the cars apart without destroying them?

Thanks

ABC

Quote from: usmc03 on March 22, 2010, 01:36:02 PM
Does anyone know where I can get these trucks and what type do I need to get? Also, is there a diagram on how to take the cars apart without destroying them?
Did you try using 33" or 36" metal wheels? If 33", then try some 36" ones. There are not any diagrams on how to take the cars apart on the Bachmann website.

usmc03

The guy at the store helped me and I got 36".  They fit but don't roll.  I can drag the car around the track but that aint no fun.  I have only done one as I wanted to see if it would work.  Any other ideas?

Tylerf

Are they too big and rubbing against the bottom of the car? If so I guess you could get 33's and see if they fit better.

usmc03

Not rubbing, just tight fitting.  The plastic ones have a pointey tip while the metal ones have more of a rounded tip.  Does that make sense?

pdlethbridge

Are the axles too tight? If they are you could get a reaming tool like this. The wheels should be pointed on the axles

it's from micro mark
http://www.micromark.com/HO-TRUCK-TUNER,8241.html

OldTimer

Besides Bachmann, there are a bunch of companies that make wheel sets.  Proto 2000 and Kadee come to mind, but there are others.  Take a car to the shop and see what fits.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

usmc03

I think the reaming tool is just what I need.

Thanks

pdlethbridge

Don't forget that the tool is for pointed axles. they also have axles that are blunt, but this tool works only for pointed axles.    The wheels you're trying to put in are the wrong style. They need to have pointed axles. See you local hobby shop for the correct wheels. Take a truck with you to see if they work without the reaming.

usmc03

Ok, now that makes sense.  I am still learning but now I know.  Makes sense as to why they won't spin.

Thanks