News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another Newbie question

Started by usmc03, March 22, 2010, 07:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usmc03

I am looking for a neat steamer to run on the club tracks and found this one.  I have no clue what to look for when it comes to them.  I do know it has sound and all the noises my boy will like.  here is a link:

http://www.micromark.com/BACHMANN-SPECTRUM-HO-STANDARD-GAUGE-2-10-0-RUSSIAN-DECAPOD-DCC-AND-SOUND-EQUIPPED-PAINTEDandUNLETTE,9030.html

What do you all think?

jonathan

Shipmate,

All the Spectrums are pretty great engines in my opinion.

As you are just starting out, may I suggest the 2-8-0 Consolidation w/DCC and sound?  The Connie will run on just about any radius you throw at it--very forgiving.  It pulls very well, so if long trains are your thing...

The engine is also easier to tinker with.  You sometimes have to loosen a couple of wires That's about it.  It's also very smooth and quiet running.  It's the best general purpose steam engine on the market--again just an opinion.  I have two; a standard Connie and the DCC version.  I wouldn't give them up for anything.

Any Spectrum you choose will be nice.

Ooh Rah!

Jonathan

Doneldon

Ditto re the Spectrum Connie.

Navy, but I won't hold it against you.

usmc03

Everyone says that is the one to start off with.  I will put my order in as they are not in stock.  I don't have the patience to do the ebay thing and most of them don't like shipping up here to the barren wasteland of Alaska.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Daylight4449

NOT THAT THE CONNIE ISN'T GOOD BUT I QUITE LIKE MY DECAPOD, JUST MY OPINION.

Pacific Northern

If I could only choose one steamer I would choose the 10 wheeler 4-6-0, this was a versatile engine pulling either freight or passangers.  The 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 are great engines in their own right but were freight engines.
Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on March 22, 2010, 10:42:44 PMThe 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 are great engines in their own right but were freight engines.
The 2-8-0 was used pretty equally for both freight and passenger service with a bias toward freight.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ABC on March 22, 2010, 11:08:13 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on March 22, 2010, 10:42:44 PMThe 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 are great engines in their own right but were freight engines.
The 2-8-0 was used pretty equally for both freight and passenger service with a bias toward freight.

I stand corrected, I should of said the Consolidation was primarily a freight engine and that on occasion may have been used for passenger on secondary lines.
Pacific Northern

pdlethbridge

The B&M used a lot of  connies on their commuter routes because they could accelerate faster than the pacifics. Stations were fairly close together. In my town of Melrose, there were 3 stations.