News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Returning locomotives?

Started by LV LOU, March 24, 2010, 11:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LV LOU

I have a bunch of the old,first run Bachmann 8-40C's and 8-40CW's,probably 12 or more.The motors are really getting to be a headache,if they sit for a month or so,the shell has top be removed to"jumpstart" it,then they run terrible for ten minutes or so,and they're all REALLY slow.I took the best chassis from the lot,and put them under my favorite set of locos,but I'd like to return the rest for warranty..What's the procedure for old locos like this? Will I get the same roadname back,or can I get different locos in the same type?[SD45's instead of -8's?]..THANKS!!!

ABC

Quote"Bachmann's Lifetime Limited Warranty covers motorized units only. Under the warranty, Bachmann can decide whether to repair or replace an item at their discretion.
Items less than a year old are fully covered and will be serviced or replaced at no charge when accompanied with warranty card or proof of purchase.
For items more than one year old, there is a nominal service charge for repair or replacement."
Since you have had them for more than a year, there is a $25 fee per locomotive plus you must pay the shipping costs of the locomotives (note-the return costs are covered within the $25).  If Bachmann currently makes the loco and there is not a significant difference between the current loco and your loco they will replace the loco with the same type loco with the same road name if available, if not they will ask which road name you prefer.  If there is a significant difference in the locos in quality, original MSRP, or otherwise (I.e. the new lcoo is DCC and yours is not) you can have them replaced with the same loco for an additional "upgrade fee" as determined by the service department.  Otherwise they will replace your loco with a GP-40, GP-35, GP-30 or something similar in original MSRP and quality in the road name of your choice.  When returning your locos include a note stating what is wrong with them, so that they can be repaired or replaced at Bachmann's discretion.
Here's a real life example, my friend sent in an old N scale DDA40X and received in return a GP-40 after paying the $25 service fee.
You can likely arrange to get SD-45's at an additional fee for upgrading probably less than the fee for upgarding to the GE Dash 8-40C's.
QuoteCustomer Service for all scales can be reached toll free by US and Canadian customers at 800-356-3910.
    *  Parts: Ext. 328 or 329
    * Technical Support: Ext.337
    * Repair Status: Ext. 331
    * Customer Service Manager: Ext.304
Orders, repair inquiries, or general inquiries may also be sent to:
Bachmann Customer Service
1400 East Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19124
Fax: 215-744-4699

So, at a minimum it will cost you $25 times 12 lcoos, which equals $300, just to get GP-40's in return. If I were you I'd stick with the locos I had and try to fix them myself as best I could using parts from all the locos to make several good locos, because it seems very costly just to get GP-40's back.

LV LOU

LOL!!! Some warranty...I'll just leave these piles of junk on the on the shelf,and and buy Kato SD45's on Ebay for 15 more dollars..

ABC

Are these Spectrum, Plus, or regular line locos? If they are regular line, it is only $15 a loco for repair.

LV LOU

Spectrum..I could buy the motors and do it myself for 12 bucks..Not so sure I even want to do that if they're the same motors,they've always been a headache..Looks like the SD45 motor may fit...

Hunt Tower

LV Lou, I would not replace them with a SD45 motor as it is only a three pole unit. There are better Bachmann 5 pole units around. :o
Hunt Tower 

LV LOU

Quote from: Hunt Tower on March 26, 2010, 09:18:56 AM
LV Lou, I would not replace them with a SD45 motor as it is only a three pole unit. There are better Bachmann 5 pole units around. :o
Hunt Tower 
That may very well be,but the SD45 runs fine,I have 9 of them,never had motor problems.