News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Guy and Amps

Started by swany, March 30, 2010, 07:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swany

Hi , I"m new to the forum and looking for some information.  Looking at DCC systems and wondering how many amps are needed to run 2 sound equipped bachmann locos. Thx

El Loco

Jeez, I really couldn't tell you how many amps it takes to run 2 loco's but the system I run  The NCE Power cab Can run up to 6 loco's at a time I know of.  And my layout is huge at that. I ain't sure if this helps .
Regards. :)

Jim Banner

Because you are posting in the 0n30 forum, I think we can safely assume both your locomotives are relatively new.   And while motor draw depends on load and sound system draw depends on volume, as a rule of thumb you can figure 1/2 amp per motor and 1/2 amp per sound system, with a built in safety margin.

Different people get different results, in part because of the way DCC systems are rated.  They are usually rated at 20o C in free air (about 68o F.)  In a cool basement, with air streaming past the system, you might get 20% more current than the rating.  But in a hot attic and the DCC system in an enclosure, you might have it cut out at 60 or 70% of its rating.

One last thought for you.  It is not just the locomotives that draw DCC power.  Lighted passenger cars and cabooses draw power continuously and DCC operated turnouts draw power intermittently.  Add up all the power draws and if they exceed what the DCC system can handle, it will protect itself by shutting down.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

swany

Thx El Loco and Jim.  Appreciate the help.