News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

could you please do the following.

Started by pdlethbridge, April 09, 2010, 09:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

I have asked this before and I've patiently waited for a yes answer to some of the requests. Could you make available the following:
A DCC  equipped H16-44 The one I have is my best runner.
Sound equipped tenders sold as a separate item.
Some of the diesels, F units, GP7, available with sound.
Thank you

ABC

QuoteSound equipped tenders sold as a separate item.
Why would they have sound equipped tenders available as a separate item when they have completely discontinued tenders as a separate item???
QuoteA DCC  equipped H16-44
Also, this is not likely because they would have to completely redesign the interior to accommodate DCC with or without an 8-pin socket, but even more so if it included an 8-pin socket.
QuoteSome of the diesels, F units, GP7, available with sound.
This is highly unlikely because it will increase the production costs of all the models because it will take some work to come up with a good design that provides for a large speaker with good sound. Although, not all locos would have sound; the prices of all would have to go up to off-set costs. It is not that hard to add aftermarket sound to most (not all) of the locos.

pdlethbridge

ABC

Quote from: pdlethbridge on April 09, 2010, 01:31:06 PM
Are you working at Bachmann now?
Point taken, I was just speculating on why these things may not happen, as no matter how you look at it Bachmann is a business first and foremost, so for something to happen, it must make good business sense (be financially sound). But one can always hope, who knows maybe sometime in the future they may make an announcement.

pdlethbridge

I always went by the thought , the squeaky wheel gets the oil. My thought wasn't to criticize you for what you said but get the bachmann interested in what people want. If you keep bugging them, they'll listen.

richg

Children, play nice.

If a few thousand people request this "maybe" Bachmann will respond. But I would not hold my breath.

Bean counters run most model railroad companies, not model railroaders. That is the reality we live in.

Bachmann products are generally much better than they were back some years ago.

Rich

pdlethbridge

you work there too?????????????? ;D ;D ;D
Lets touch on a couple of things.
First: The H16-44 is the only former spectrum engine not decoder equipped.
Second: Tenders with sound are all ready being made to go with their engines. It wouldn't take much to produce a few more by themselves at no added cost
Third: Bachmann is the only player without diesels that have sound. Athearn has sound, BLI, Atlas, Walthers do too.
Forth: They have bean counters too.

Pacific Northern

I would certainly support the request for producing as separate items the tenders with the sound and dcc installed.

Now that I have bought a few of the Spectrum steam engines with DCC/Sound installed I would like to upgrade some of my existing Bachmann steamers that do not have sound. I am sure that more than a few owners of Spectrum steamers would agree.

Bachmann "Diesels" being sold with the sound installed will,  I would speculate, will happen.  As stated, most of the other manufactures now offer sound. Bachmann will have to   follow or miss entirely a portion of the market.
Pacific Northern

pdlethbridge

hawaiiho

Quote from: richg on April 09, 2010, 02:18:12 PM

Bean counters run most model railroad companies, not model railroaders. That is the reality we live in.

Rich

An unfortunate truth, "bean counters" have and do run  many companies, including not just model

railroad companies, but,  the "real" railroads, which is why we(the U.S.) is nearly at the bottom of list when

it comes to passenger rail service.

Jhanecker2

The real reason that passenger rail service is not as good as it could be is that the federal government subsidized airport and interstate highway construction but never subsidized railroads .  Also  the American public is always in such a hurry to get everywhere . Energy prices  for fuels  ( gasoline & jet fuel )  were  cheap  then , those days are probably gone forever  .   If we don't  get the economy  back on a more rational footing again the highways and the airports  won't get fixed either.

hawaiiho

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on April 09, 2010, 04:16:46 PM

The real reason that passenger rail service is not as good as it could be is that the federal government subsidized airport and interstate highway construction but never subsidized railroads .  Also  the American public is always in such a hurry to get everywhere .

Sixty years ago and more, this was probably accurate. The reality, today,  is quite  different.  Today, passenger rail is subsidized. In fact,  passenger service today is owned by the federal government. So, to say that the railroads were never subsidized is not quite accurate.

Today, the prime reason for the lack of good passenger service  is that 99% of the track in the country is not usable for modern, up to date, passenger rail service;  because it was not maintained to that kind of level.
This was a decision made by those same  "bean counters" to increase  or maintain profits.

The same reason that we are not likely to see many of the items that we would like to see improved or added to model railroading.

Off my soap box  ;D

jdmike

If I remember correctly, when I had my Chessie GP7 appart to replace the pee yellow LED's with golden white ones, the fuel tank is dimpled on the inside for a speaker and the chassis has room for a sound decoder to preplace the factory one.   I have two of them now, one Chessie and one Clinchfield.  What I want to see is either an unnumbered one or other road numbers.  But no number and blank numberboards with the correct white/black background would be perfect.   I would also love to see Bachmann offer a low nose GP7 along with more modern shortline road names.  Both of my GP7's run as quiet and smooth as my older Atlas/Kato GP7's  Excellent job Bachmann, now expand on it with low noses and more modern road names.  Many shortlines still use early EMD's!       Mike

RAM

airline own no airports.
Truck lines or bus companies own on hi ways.
most railroads own the tracks they run on.
no airlines, truck company, or bus company
pay for the upkeep of the railroads.
Railroads pay taxes to build airports, and roads.

hawaiiho

Quote from: RAM on April 10, 2010, 10:30:42 PM
airline own no airports.
Truck lines or bus companies own on hi ways.
most railroads own the tracks they run on.
no airlines, truck company, or bus company
pay for the upkeep of the railroads.
Railroads pay taxes to build airports, and roads.

You failed to mention a couple of things.

Airports are open to use by the public.
Highways are open to use by the public.

How many railroad track systems are open to public use?

The fact is that the railroads made a conscience decision to give operational priority to freight business because it was more

profitable than passengers.

When that was done, their passengers deserted them, for the airlines, the buses and the private automobile.

There is a fine line that any company must ride; between staying profitable, and not alienating their customers in the process.

This also true for Bachmann. So, what would model railroaders prefer. Getting every model they hope for, and every feature

that they would like to have; or a Bachmann that remains profitable and in business?

If Bachmann were to spend some of their profits, I would prefer a bit more quality control, rather than a few new models or

features that have a limited market.