News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum 2-8-0 broken wire

Started by upturbine, April 27, 2010, 12:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upturbine

When I was trying to unplug the engine from the tender one of the wires broke off from the connector. I have no idea on how to fix it cause its to small to do. What to do.

ABC

Call Bachmann Parts and Service for a replacement part, it will probably cost you a few bucks.
QuoteBachmann's Service Department is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Eastern Time.   Customer Service for all scales can be reached toll free by US and Canadian customers at 800-356-3910.
    * Parts: Ext. 328 or 329
    * Technical Support: Ext.337
    * Repair Status: Ext. 331
    * Customer Service Manager: Ext.304

Pacific Northern

You can explain the problem and send an e-mail or letter to the Bachmann service department or phone them directly.

Those who have phoned recommend using the direct line rather than the toll free line.

Bachmann will replace/repair your locomotive. You will need to mail the item to them with a check as outlined in the information regarding the Service Department on this site.

If you are uneasy working on the wiring yourself you would definitely be better off sending the item in.
Pacific Northern

ABC

Why does everyone always assume that when they send a loco in that they will just get a new one. Bachmann does in fact repair and service many of the locos they receive. Additionally, if the damage was caused by any negligence or mishandling by the owner then you must pay a nominal fee to have the item serviced or replaced, but as long as it is evident that you handling the loco too roughly then they typically will still cover it for the first year of ownership with the original owner. 

bruceallen123

Just for the hell of it, I took apart my 2-8-0 to see the "guts".  That quality of the internals and wiring was truly appalling.  Metal shavings inside the motor frame indicate the gears were grinding. Absolutely NO grease on the worm gear.  Dry bearing on both ends, missing a screw, and the one wire leading to the tender was frayed and ready to break because it was pinched between the metal frame and the cab. I shook my head in disbelief.  My opinion?  These things are overpriced pieces of junk.  If I were the president or CEO of this company, I would be embarrassed to manufacture, market, and sell this stuff.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Typical made-in-China quality.  I'm not gonna bother sending it in.  It'll make a nice dummy to put on a spur or somewhere.  Not fit for mainline use that's for certain.   This was the last straw.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: bruceallen123 on April 27, 2010, 08:58:29 PM
Just for the hell of it, I took apart my 2-8-0 to see the "guts".  That quality of the internals and wiring was truly appalling.  Metal shavings inside the motor frame indicate the gears were grinding. Absolutely NO grease on the worm gear.  Dry bearing on both ends, missing a screw, and the one wire leading to the tender was frayed and ready to break because it was pinched between the metal frame and the cab. I shook my head in disbelief.  My opinion?  These things are overpriced pieces of junk.  If I were the president or CEO of this company, I would be embarrassed to manufacture, market, and sell this stuff.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Typical made-in-China quality.  I'm not gonna bother sending it in.  It'll make a nice dummy to put on a spur or somewhere.  Not fit for mainline use that's for certain.   This was the last straw.

I agree, why bother getting the engine repaired/replaced.

You should keep it parked on a spur line far away from view.
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

I see no indication of an assumption that the lokie will be replaced.  I do see "replace/repair" which doesn't seem to indicate one to the exclusion of the other.  Besides, most, but admittedly not all, posters on this site mention receiving replacements for troubled engines so it is reasonable to advise a new poster of that possibility.

Bruce - Why not send Bachmann the Connie and let them  fix it?  It won't hurt you and maybe they need to be more aware when they are producing shoddy merchandise.  While most of their stuff is very good in my experience, a few duds can really hurt a business, so give them a chance to do the right thing.

--D