More Tenders please.....Model Power owners will need them.

Started by skipgear, May 13, 2010, 06:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipgear

Model Power has announced a new production run of their steam loco's, to be due before the end of the year. There have been updates to their loco's, including traction tires included now, and knuckle couplers. The one upgrade missing that most were hoping for is an allwheels live tender, similar to the Bachmann tenders.

A common upgrade to MP steam is to put a Bachmann tender on them. The improved pickup is a no brainer and the better rolling Bachmann tenders helps in the pulling power department.

The N&W aux. tender is already gone....please don't let the others pass. There are many people that will be needing them shortly. I think I own more Bachmann tenders than I do loco's right now because they are such a good improvement to older equipment.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

ABC

At least you have tenders, there aren't any for those of us in HO.

sumfred

I find that a complete tender replacement is not necessary.
I just swap the tender trucks with Bachmann tender trucks which are readily available.
I solder thin flexible wires direct on to the axle pickups and feed them inside of the tender where they are soldered to the leads which are present for DCC conversion.
The two tabs which prodrude from the Bachmann trucks are cut off.

Fred

skipgear

There is no substitute for the leaf spring pickup system. It helps equalize the trucks and allows for much freer movement. I have a Kato Mikado that was given to me because it didn't run very well. It was beautifully painted, detailed and weathered for Monon yet couldn't move 5" on straight track without stalling. The genius who did the decoder install, removed the leaf springs from the tender and hard wired the trucks. I fiddled with the thing for a few hours and finally gave up. I put a new tender behind the loco, problem solved. It runs like a dream now. Bachmann saved the day.

What many people prefer is to replace the entire tender floor on the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 with that from a Bachmann shorty tender. The others are USRA and can be replaced with the USRA standard tender.

I am hoping for the 4 axle vandy from the H4 to be available seprate. I have already done some horse trading to get one. They would be great behind the Pacific and Mikado to help C&O'ize them.

Tony Hines

andrechapelon

While you're at it, how about "Spectrumizing" the SP 160C-whatever tender used here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1319   so that us SP fans can have another tender available?  It's suitable behind 4-8-2's, 4-8-4's (GS-1) and even the the later T&NO Pacifics (P-9 and P-13).

You've put the 160C tender behind the HO USRA heavy in HO and even sold it as a separate item. Why not in N scale too?

Andre

dtpowell

Just curious here with a few questions. If your wanting additional electrical pickup for the tender. How difficult would it be to add pickups to the Model Power tender? Could you possibly substitute the trucks from a Kato caboose? (They have pickups)
Also, does the new Model Power Loco really have poor connectivity? The ones I own seem to do just fine. Of course my trackwork isn't very complicated.

skipgear

The MP tenders have half axle pickup. Meaning each truck only picks up from one rail. Running on insulfrog turnouts such as Peco or Atlas code 80 will cause problems. The pickup is via a wiper that wraps around the axle and causes a lot of drag. Performance is greatly improved with the addtitional pickup and pulling is improved by the freer rolling trucks of the Bachmann tender.

You can replace the trucks with Kato Caboose, Kato Mikado Tender if you have them. Kato has been sold out for years. The Bachmann trucks also work and are available from the parts department but will cost you $5 each plus $6 shipping.
Tony Hines

andrechapelon

Quote from: andrechapelon on May 14, 2010, 12:47:59 PM
While you're at it, how about "Spectrumizing" the SP 160C-whatever tender used here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1319   so that us SP fans can have another tender available?  It's suitable behind 4-8-2's, 4-8-4's (GS-1) and even the the later T&NO Pacifics (P-9 and P-13).

You've put the 160C tender behind the HO USRA heavy in HO and even sold it as a separate item. Why not in N scale too?

Andre

Forgot about SP MM-3 #3930 http://www.divisionpoint.com/photos/SP_MM-3s/SP_3930b.gif  with the same type of tender. Could be cobbled up with the USRA (for piston valve LP cylinders) model. Most of the work would involve coming up with a new smokebox front and mounting the compressors on the fireman's side.

Andre

skipgear

Quote from: ABC on May 13, 2010, 06:41:09 PM
At least you have tenders, there aren't any for those of us in HO.

HUH??? Wow, I didn't notice that they killed all the HO tenders.
Tony Hines

ABC

Quote from: skipgear on May 19, 2010, 01:31:34 PM
HUH??? Wow, I didn't notice that they killed all the HO tenders.
Most of them are still readily available through most large online and mail order retailers.

oldrk

I want that C&O vandy tender on the H-4 also. Half a dozen projects could be done to make C&O 2-8-2s, 4-6-2s, 2-8-8-2s and I believe even a 4-8-2 with the four axle vandy. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!