News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Berkshire Comparison

Started by ebtbob, May 18, 2010, 09:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Can anyone out there give me a comparison between the Bachmann Berkshire and the Proto 2000?   Why would one make a better purchase over the other?   DCC included is not a selling factor for me.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jonathan

Good morning, Bob!

I just picked up the C&O #2724 version of the Berkshire.  I can't give a comparison, but I can give you my observations of the Bachmann engine.

Tender

I run DC, so I opened the tender shell, removing four screws in the corners of the frame.  Easy to do.  Did not have to remove the trucks to do so.  Unplugging the decoder and inserting the dummy plugs was also easy.  I put a little tape on the decoder plug (to prevent shorts) and left the decoder in place.  The speaker baffle appears easily accessible for the sound gurus.

The double brush pickups tap current from four of the twelve tender wheels; two left and two right.  It could actually be picking up from two more wheels, but I couldn't see any brushes on the middle truck wheels.

I noticed a slight amount of overspray on the white wall tires.  I may have to sand, or rub off the paint from the treads.  Like I said, it's slight and may not affect current pick up.

There is a working reverse light.

The top of the ladder appears to be bent at a slight angle (from packaging).  As it looks plastic, I'm not going to try to straighten it.  It's only noticeable from close observation.  

There doesn't seem to be any drag in the tender, and the brushes seem to be making good contact.  Wiring seems to be secure, also.

The connector plugs are a little different than my Connies.  I don't see any tabs that click in place when inserting to the locomotive.  I think that's a good thing.  Less danger of breaking a wire when storing back in it's box.

Storage

It's a blue box of course (not Spectrum).  The inner mounting plastic folds over the whole engine and snaps to together.  It hold the engine well.  There's also an additional clear plastic sleeve to hold the inner case.  Slips in and out of the box easily.

Locomotive

All eight drive wheels have current pick up.  The brushes make good contact, even when moving the wheels side-to-side.  

The valve gear and drive rods are not loose or wobbly, if you get my meaning.  The color is a nice iron gray with a little sheen.

I did not see any overspray from the white wall tires.  Lettering is sharp.  Even the small print is readable.

Engine seems to have good weight.  I also like all the little details.  Surprised it's not a Spectrum (then neither is the Connie anymore).

Admittedly, I haven't run the engine, yet.  It's brand spankin' new.  I need to finish some trackwork and clean up the layout before its maiden voyage.

Not much to go on, I know, but so far, I really like my new baby.

Regards,

Jonathan

p.s.  There are no crew members.  Maybe that's why it's not a Spectrum  :D

uncbob

I have the Bachmann and run it regularly

I am well satisfied
And you can get it here
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/category_s/1724.htm

full maxx

I have the standard line Bachmann Berkshire and love it however the pilot wheels derail every other blue moon but not a big deal for my little engineer as he likes putting the engines back on and off and back on and off...well you get the idea
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Doneldon

ebt-

uncbob found a great deal on the Bachmann Berk with DCC for under $100.  I see the same place has MTH Berks with DCC and sound, but they're $450!!!.  For that money, I'd buy three of the Bachmann engines and three sound bugs, install everything and sell two of the lokies on ebay to make the one I keep free.  The MTH unit is a fine model but it's certainly not worth four (and a half) Bachmann engines.  Just sayin'.

--D

jonathan

Bob,

You got me curious, so I looked up the P2K version of the Berk.  The MSRP is more than twice the Bachmann version.  I wonder if the P2K version is a stronger puller, or made of sturdier stuff?

Also, I noticed the P2K version is not two toned.  That is to say the smoke box is not a graphite color, neither is the ash pit area a different color.

Since the P2K version is no longer produced, are you considering a used one, or one that happens to be in a LHS?

I'm afraid my P2K engines are diesels.  They run beautifully.  I have never seen a P2K steamer running on a track.  I saw some P2K Berk comments in this forum's history, but nothing of a comparison.

Regards,

Jonathan

p.s. Just found some comments from B&ORRF on comparison of the two engines.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,5546.0.html

skipgear

The Walthers/Lifelike Berkshire is much more detailed (more seprately applied detaisl) and offers both boiler versions, C&O and Nickle Plate. The sand dome and some other details are changed between the two.

The Bachmann Berk is based on the C&O version and although less detailed, seems to be a great deal for the price. It really depends on how much you are worried about the correct details as to which you would want.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

uncbob

Bachmann made both NP and C&O

Pacific Northern

Quote from: skipgear on May 19, 2010, 09:02:34 AM
The Walthers/Lifelike Berkshire is much more detailed (more seprately applied detaisl) and offers both boiler versions, C&O and Nickle Plate. The sand dome and some other details are changed between the two.

The Bachmann Berk is based on the C&O version and although less detailed, seems to be a great deal for the price. It really depends on how much you are worried about the correct details as to which you would want.

The level of detail is slightly higher on the Proto Heritage model, but the price of the Proto is at least twice as high as the Bachmann.
If you were to check the product section of this web site, or if you were to veiw the catalogue you would find Bachmann made both the C&O and NKP versions.
Pacific Northern

ebtbob

Ok all,  thankyou for your input.   The Proto engine is hard to find as it has been a while since it was introduced.   I will have to mull all this over and decide if I want either of the 2-8-4s.   Thanks again.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: jonathan on May 19, 2010, 07:40:27 AM
I'm afraid my P2K engines are diesels.  They run beautifully. 

Meh. I can disagree with that with the one P2K engine I had. A Santa Fe GP30. Never ran. Could never get it to run, always ended up smoking. I have their Subway set, and its pretty good, other than the pantographs not being glued in and I lost one :P.  I don't think I'll ever buy another Proto 2000/1000 engine unless its something I REALLY want.
By the way, the GP30 ended up being destroyed by "accidentally" falling off of my friends shelf layout. Note "accidentally" is in quotes.

ABC

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on May 20, 2010, 07:12:53 PM
Meh. I can disagree with that with the one P2K engine I had. A Santa Fe GP30. Never ran. Could never get it to run, always ended up smoking. I have their Subway set, and its pretty good, other than the pantographs not being glued in and I lost one :P.  I don't think I'll ever buy another Proto 2000/1000 engine unless its something I REALLY want.
By the way, the GP30 ended up being destroyed by "accidentally" falling off of my friends shelf layout. Note "accidentally" is in quotes.
The GP 20 & 30 series were the only Proto 2000 locos that ever had issues. And when you bought yours, everyone else knew that they had issues, so they did not buy them. And the Proto 1000 subway set wasn't Life-Like's/Walther's/orP1K's fault, all it takes is gentle handling and care. I still contend that from the sounds of it you are not using as much care as what is required for finely detailed HO scale representations (models). If you are having trouble handling locomotives I suggest you try purchasing less detailed model, which will save you money and you won't lose or break your detail parts. Another alternative may be moving to a larger scale where locomotives are less prone to damage from rough handling, and the detail parts are harder to lose or break.

Doneldon

unc-

You are right to ponder this decision as it's an important one.  None of us has unlimited funds so we must be careful to buy only what we will use and enjoy.  Also, you might decide another steamer is more in keeping with your layout.  If it is small with tight curves something as large as a Berk might look a little silly.  On the other hand, maybe you just want a NKP Berk.  I can understand that. 

As a kid growing up in Indiana in the 1950s, I saw them all of the time and they were very impressive.  We had to cross the NKP mainline (and the Pennsy!) to get from our home in the country to town.  The NKP mainline crossed our road, what was once US30, on a curve so the superelevated track made it seem like the speeding locos were not just going by, but overhead, too.  I'll never forget it, although it was pretty scary when I was really little or if I was on my bike.  Thanks for giving me a reason to drift around in some good old memories for a while.

--D

uncbob

Here is a big pic of the Bachmann if it will help

http://bandb3536.com/npberk.jpg