News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum HO 2-10-2

Started by whm2255, May 18, 2010, 02:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whm2255

Bachman has a Spectrum HO 2-10-2 DCC with Tsunami sound.  It says that the decoders are dual mode and will work on DC.  My question is, will the sound work on DC as well?

pdlethbridge

yes, but remember, they will have a higher starting voltage than DCC

ABC

Quote from: whm2255 on May 18, 2010, 02:45:32 PMMy question is, will the sound work on DC as well?
Yes, but in a more limited capacity unless a friend or local hobby shop will allow you to borrow their DCC system to program some configuration variables (CVs), you can use most any system but the Bachmann E-Z Command. A Bachmann Dynamis DCC system would however be capable. Without DCC you cannot access the full benefits of the decoder, an E-Z Command only costs about $75 and gives you the ability to access most sound effects, whereas with DC and no initial programming with a DCC system you lose your ability to fully enjoy the decoder. You cannot activate the horn, bells, whistles, fireman, braking, etc at any time you should choose, but with a DCC system you can make them "automatic with a certain action." I would strongly advise you to purchase an E-Z Command because it is not a large investment and will help you get started with DCC and will let you enjoy your loco more.

pdlethbridge

I have to add that some sound systems, BLI for instance, let you play the whistle in analog by flipping the reverse switch back and forth on the power pack.

Doneldon

2255-

Exactly which sound features you can use under DC is determined by manufacturer and they are all different.  It's usually possible to at least control bells and whistles, but not to select which bells and whistles.  And there are invariably some automatic features like chuff, directional lighting and so on.  In addition, many manufacturers (e.g., BLI, Atlas, Roundhouse) sell or include a small controller which allows you to access more sounds under DC, but still not the full range available with DCC.  Come to think of it, even DCC doesn't give full access to all of the sound and light features provided by DCS.

--D