News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

break in runs?

Started by sp4449lover, May 21, 2010, 12:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp4449lover

hi there, i'm new to n scale, and i was wondering if i could ask a question about break in runs. i bought all my trains brand new, but they didn't come with boxes or instructions. so i have no idea how long i should break them in, or what to do. do all trains have different break in run times? i have a 2-8-0, a u36b, a gp40 and a gp50. thanks if you can help.

ABC

First thoroughly clean the wheels of all the locos. Then apply lubrication sparingly as needed and be sure to wipe off any excess as this will hinder you locos performance. Then thoroughly clean all of your track. Now construct a figure-8 if at all possible. Run the loco at a moderate speed in each direction for intervals of about 30 minutes. If you cannot construct a figure-8 you must pick the loco up and flip it around and run it for 30 minutes in forward and reverse again. Total break in time is about 2 hours of running.

Fotheringill

You may find that the 2-8-0 Spectrum will need more break in time. Also, if you put it away for several months, it will require it all over again. Once broken in or re-broken in, it is a terrific engine and will pull quite a bit.

You can improve the pickup by adding weight to the underside of the tender.

sp4449lover

Quote from: Fotheringill on May 21, 2010, 01:02:02 PM
You may find that the 2-8-0 Spectrum will need more break in time. Also, if you put it away for several months, it will require it all over again. Once broken in or re-broken in, it is a terrific engine and will pull quite a bit.

like how much more break in time besides the 2 hours?

skipgear

Only you can decide that. The loco should smooth out after an hour or two of running. If it doesn't their may be mechanical issues. If it runs dead smooth out of the box to begin with, you are done after a couple hours.

From experience, the 2-8-0 improves with age. The longer you run it, the better it runs and pulls. Some of my brand new loco's will pull 30-40 cars comfortably. My 2-8-0 with the most time on it, probably 20-30 hours, has pulled 68 cars. The break in wears the blackening off the wheels which increases pulling power. Also the running polishes the bushings and side rod pins so the loco runs more efficiently with less binding.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Fotheringill

Skipgear is most correct and has a lot more experience and knowledge than I do.

Frankly, I found 15-20 hours enough, for the initial break in period. A lot depends on the individual engine since there is a variation from engine to engine of the same type.

I noticed that you said the engines were new but did not have boxes. How do you know they are new?