News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ballasting EZ Track

Started by gbradley, May 16, 2007, 03:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbradley

We've all seen the ad's in MR with the beautifully ballasted EZ track right? and before anyone blasts me I realize RZ track is primarily intended for tabletop and carpet/floor use but I plan on using it for something a little more permanent. The photo gallery here shows several shots of ballasted EZ track.
What is your experience on ballasting the EZ track? Was it hard to get the ballast to go where you wanted it to go / stay on the bank???
I am setting up an experiment in the work room. A 3 foot straight section of EZ track parallel to a 3 foot section of conventional track and cork roadbed and see how much different they look sfter ballasting. I'll paint the rails with a small paint brush. My thinking is that I will need a very fine grade of ballast to work with for the EZ track due to the shallow depth between the top of the tie and the plastic roadbed between the ties.

I really love the RZ track for the solid connections and the 33 & 35" curve sections.

Any thooughts?  Thanks looking forward to hear of anyone's experience.

Bojangle

I will be eavesdropping on this.  I am setting up an 8' x 4' with EZ track mostly for a trial period, until I get my room addition built.  There seems to be all kinds of ballasting techniques, just a little watered down glue and sprinkle gravel over it.  With that nice gray bed it shouldn't have to very thick,just enough to fill the ties and add some texture.  3/4 washed rock scales down to .008 for HO, that's almost like sand right?
Hope you get a lot of replies, as I am just learning also.
Good luck
Bo

the Bach-man

Dear All,
It's very easy. Simply brush on the ballast and soak with either Woodland Scenics ballast cement or a white glue/ water mix.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Mr B.....you said put down the ballest and soak with Woodland Scenics glue/water mix.    Can I assume you mean "wet water" because if not,  how does the water soak completely thru the ballest.
       For those of you who do not know the term "wet water" it is simpley a certain amount of water with two or three drops of dish washing soap mixed in.   The soap helps to break down the surface tension and allow the glue to get to the bottom of the ballest as opposed to just setting up on the top of the ballest and forming a fragile crust.
        Usually,  I have my ballest in place,   soak the ballest with the wet water from any type of spray bottle that can be set to atomize(no spraying with a stream or you wlill dislodge the ballest)and then apply the glue with a large eye dropper bought from my local drugstore.   It really goes a lot quicker than you would suspect.   Also,  remember to be careful around turnouts,  both with the spreading of the ballest and applying the glue.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org