News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another layout design.

Started by lescar, May 28, 2010, 07:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lescar

This time I've changed track styles, now everything is mostly flex track and Pico insulated swithches with some sectional track throwin in, (Sorry Bachmman, EZ-track wouldn't do what I wanted).  The two main lines are now  24" and 22" with 18" on the inside of the double loops, I've also add power districts, inulated connections, roads,parking lots, along with other data.

I have been doing a lot of reading about laying Flex track and like the idea of less connections and soldering the joints, and will be ordering the layout tools to do it the right way the first time.  Note: that XtrkCad only has sectional track, so most of it will be changed to flex.   

As always all comments and sugestions are most welcome.

Here is a biger layout diagram that shows better detail.

http://members.cox.net/lescar/content/AtlasPeco10x6Code83Big.JPG

Thanks
Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

Joe Satnik

Dear lescar,

In your previous layout posts I pointed out the closeness of the concentric curves.  Add another 1/4" or so to the 24" Radius (flex) to reduce overhang crashes with the 22"R track. 

Keep your "grabber" tool handy to retrieve derailed cars in the middle.  (3 ft. reach.)

There are possible "S" curve problems on the 3 routes just above and between the 6 and 7 ft horizontal scale markers.

It looks very good, though.  You have put a lot of work into it. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Doneldon

les-

That's an ambitious plan and a lot of track in a small space.  I like your use of scenic backgrounds to give you different regions.  I do have three caveats:

1.  Check clearances on the concentric curves, especially if you plan to use larger locos and rolling stock.

2.  Your reach in is too far from the "north" (top) of the table.

3.  Your only access track to the turntable/engine terminal is via your tightest curves.  That might limit what you can run there.

--D

lescar

Joe and Don:  Thanks for the reply's

when I do lay the flex track, I'll be using a parallel track tool, should that give enough clearance between the tracks.  On the possible S-curve problem, on the main lines there going to be #8's with at least a 2" straight in between, will that be O.K..  When your talking about reach from the top, I'm assuming that is for the turntable area, for the access to the turntable is going to be 18" or better using the parallel track tool, will that handle most engines.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Les

pdlethbridge

I have a turntable installed and it is very close to the edge, less than a foot. That puts the far edge of the turntable about 2 feet away. Just workable, if it was further, I would have trouble aligning tracks. Now my Brother also has a turntable, it's about 2 feet from the edge, making the far side about3 1/2 to 4 feet away and the round house is further back requiring a very long reach. Even with the computerized turntable, if problems occur, and they always will, it is hard to fix and it is very hard to align the tracks as some tracks were installed after the turntable was put on the layout. If you can, try to get the turntable as close to the edge as possible by possibly moving the turntable to the right side and the yard to the left.
Remember, the higher the table, the shorter the reach.

lescar

Thanks for the reply pdlethbridge

I'll play around with the idea in XTrkCAD (kinda like it) may work out even better,  also just to let you know, I plan on having access from all around the layout.  If I come up with a plan I like I'll post it to get your guys opinion.   

Thanks again for the suggestion.  8)
Les

lescar

I took your guys suggestion's and a special thanks to pdlethbridge on the turntable idea, which I do like it better this way.  Keep in mind the parallel tracking is going to be set-up with a parallel track gauge, so that should give the proper spacing between the tracks.

I'm also going to take an earlier suggestion from ryeguyisme from one of my other post's,  about not gluing the roundhouse roof down so to gain easier access to the tracks inside, will probably do that for all the building with tracks. 

I'm not sure how many insulated joints I'm going to need, I know that there needed to separate the four Power Distribution blocks.  I also don't see any reverse loops that I need to worry about.   

Here is a link to a bigger layout diagram that shows it in better detail.

http://members.cox.net/lescar/content/AtlasPeco10x6Code83Big02.JPG

Keep the comments and suggestions coming.  8)

Thanks
Les

pdlethbridge

That looks great and I see you added a second track to the turntable.
  The left side track will take your big locos but the right track is 15" radius, a little tight except for the smallest locos.
The two lowest tracks from the road to the 8' mark should have a straight between the 2 opposite curves.
Starting from the switch on the inside main to the turntable, start the curve at the switch and do the same for the outside curve.

lescar

The right curve on the turntable is 18" at the moment, but when I lay the flex track I'm going to try an make it a nice smooth arc, I went ahead and added 3" straight's between opposing curves on each track in the lower right side. 

Les

Doneldon

lescar -

The new plan looks better but your comment that you'll have access all around leads me to throw a possible monkey wrench into the works.  By "all around" I assume you mean your layout will be free standing in the middle of a room.  Allowing a minimum 24" on all sides, your layout room would approximate something like 10'x14'.

As a general rule, putting the layout around the walls with the people in the middle results in greater modeling space and a more rewarding railroad experience because the tracks are longer and the whole universe  isn't contained on a single plywood surface.  In 10'x14' you could run trains around at least three walls or maybe just leave a place for the entry.  This could be bridged or you could run point-to-point or loop-to-loop operations.  You'd even have space for a bulge or peninsula in the middle where you could put a sure enough outstanding engine terminal.  Judging from your proposed plans, that's important to you and I share that interest.  Additionally, a layout around the walls would make it much easier to add elevation to your layout, thus increasing layout interest points while potentially simplifying scenery and access.  You could put double-ended staging above or below the layout, depending on your final plan, enhancing operations in the process.  I estimate about 84 sq ft of modeling area, not counting levels or staging, as opposed to 60 sq ft with your current sketch, a 40% increase.  If your space is the end of a room rather than a whole room, an around the walls arrangement might not increase your layout space as much but it would be significantly easier to integrate the layout into the room.  The only situation I can think of where a table in the middle would be better is if you plan to push the layout into a corner when it is not in use so the space can be used for other purposes like a family room or home theater.

I don't intend to rain or your parade with these comments; however, I'd feel remiss if I didn't at least bring this alternative to your attention.  It's your railroad and you get to make the decisions, at least to the extent the general manager allows and assuming you have one.
                                                          -- D

lescar

Don:

Yes you are correct, I would love to have a layout where it could be along a wall, but at this time it would be impractical.  The room I'm using is the garage and all the walls have heavy steel cabinets with welded shelving on top of them so moving is imposable, the layout is going to be on rollers so it can be moved around when I need the space, but for the most part it will stay in the open, my ultimate goal is to build a layout in one of the spare rooms in the house, once the step daughter and grand kids move out (I hope).  ;D     

Les

Doneldon

Les-

I hear ya'.  We've had move-backs, too.

Doneldon

pdlethbridge

If that is what you expect to happen, may I make a suggestion? Have your layout built in sections for easy moving. Mine is built from 2 x 4 foot sections screwed together. All I have to do is cut a few wires and unscrew the sections and take off the legs. think portability.

lescar

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I don't think there leaving any time soon.  :'( :(

Les

pdlethbridge

Make sure they get the smallest portions at meals, maybe they will take a hint ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D