News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Banking

Started by Edo, June 04, 2010, 10:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edo

How do I compute the angle to 'bank' a track with a radius of 22 inches and a 2% grade?

Guilford Guy

What is the maximum speed you will be running around the curve?
Alex

Edo

between 30 and 45 MPH.

Nigel

Quote from: Edo on June 04, 2010, 10:56:50 PM
between 30 and 45 MPH.

On models, super elevation is not needed, and often can cause derailments.

22" radius in HO, represents extremely tight curve. which would have a speed restriction of less than 5 mph.

When passenger traffic declined in the '50's and '60's, many railroads removed super elevation on curves because it is a hindrance to lower speed freight operations.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

pdlethbridge

I run 24 and 22 inch radius curves and I use .020 basswood set under the outside rail. It gives my trains a good look as they take the curves. It's never caused derailments and it is totally unseen. It is held in place by the nails that hold the atlas code 83 track to the homasote.

Doneldon

edo -

pd has it right.  Just remember to gradually work your way into and out of the superelevation the same as you'd do at the ends of grades or at the ends of curves.  Any change in the track plane can "trip" a train if it is too abrupt.

-- D

pdlethbridge

You really don't need much, that .020 translates into about a 1-2 inch rise.

Guilford Guy

It's really not that necessary, but in reality the amount of elevation = Maximum Velocity Squared * .0007 * Degree of Curvature + 3. This can then be scaled down to HO even though it will really have very little effect whether you follow prototypical fashion or just add a slight rise.
Alex

Edo

Thank you gentlemen,  really helpful information!