News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New member intro and 2-10-0 question

Started by Thomas1911, June 21, 2010, 12:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas1911

Hello all,

My name is Thomas.  I've been playing with trains since I was about 3 years old, I'm now 26.  I've built several small layouts over the years, but was never able to finish any of them for one reason or another.  Several years ago, I started designing a new layout that incorporated features my previous layouts lacked such as larger radius curves, #6 turnouts and an engine service facility.  I then built the two main sections of my design in my parents garage.  A couple years ago, I moved out of my parents into my own house and recently setup my existing sections in a spare bedroom and finished designing and built the remaining sections of the layout.  Anyways, I'll post details and photos of my layout at a later date.

For my question, I recently purchased a 2-10-0 Russian Decapod w/DCC & sound (Item # 84301).  It seems to be underpowered and I'm not sure if it might be a defect or something simple that I could fix myself.  Whether free running or pulling a load, it has difficultly climbing a grade.  My grades are on the steep side at about 4% and it doesn't help they are on the tightest curves on the layout (18"R, will be hidden later), but none of my other locos have problems negotiating these areas.  The small radius doesn't seem to be the problem as it make it through the same radius on level areas of the layout.  I'm fairly new to running steamers and their troubleshooting methods.  Is it possible that any binding from the long wheelbase combined with the grade could be the problem?  Can anyone offer some suggestions I could try to alleviate this issue?  For reference, I'm using a NCE Powercab for control.

Thanks.

Doneldon

Thomas -

Welcome aboard! It's nice to meet you.

Grade and curvature will combine to exacerbate the difficulty of a section of track but the problem you describe sounds to me more like a problem with the loco itself.  Possibly a gear is slipping on its shaft (I once had a loco which did pretty well by itself but would dead stop with only one car in tow), or there is some binding which is brought out by the added stress of a grade combined with a sharp curve.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that Bachmann provides excellent and timely service when their equipment fails.  Check your owners manual for the address and send your warranty and proof of purchase along to Bachmann.

-- D

the Bach-man

Dear Thomas,
Long wheelbase steam locos and steep, curved grades are a bad combination. This is why geared locos like Shays and Climaxes were developed in the real world. It may be just the wrong loco choice for your application.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Thomas1911

Thanks for the replies.

I thought the same thing about a gear slipping on the shaft, but did some disassembly and determined this not to be the problem.

I think the binding is the most logically explaination of the problem.  If I can't come up with a solution I'll just relegate it to duties on other areas of the layout. Although, the loco will make it up the grade on it's own, I have to advance the throttle to near full to make it.  This is really the basis if my concern since I don't have to do this with my other locos.  I didn't want to burn up the motor or damage other components. My other locos are a 2-6-6-2, a Shay, two P2k SD7's, and an A-B-A consist of Athearn F7's.   

Kris Everett

ya i would tell bachmann service what you told us

send it in to them. i had to send one of my engines in and got it back with in 2 weeks and it runs like a charm

bobwrgt

The 2 10 0 is very limited in pulling power. With all the wheels there is little weight on each one to grip the rails. The boiler is also small and has little room for weight. The 2-8-0 will out pull the 2-10-0 any day. The best puller is the heavy mountain 4-8-2.
You can try Bullfrog snot on one of the drive wheels for traction. This is like adding a traction tire to the wheel.
If the engine is just sitting and slipping at low throttle you won't burn out the motor but you will wear out the wheels and rail.
Just because an engine has more wheels does not mean it will have better pull unless the weight is enough for the wheels to grip. The size of the weight makes a big difference.

Bob

Pacific Northern

Some members of this forum have previously stated that they are unable to run the 2-10-0 on 18" radius curves.

I myself have a couple of the Spectrum 2-10-0's and have not had any problems with this engine. However, I notice the 2-10-0, as advertised in the  Bachann catalogue has a notation stating 22" radius curves are recommended for this engine.

Having both the tight 18" radius and steep incline  would defeniteyly affect this engines running characterestics.

As a point of clarification is the engine slipping or stalling when this problem occurs?
Pacific Northern

Thomas1911

As far as returning the loco to Bachmann, I didn't want to until I was sure the problem was with the loco itself and not a problem with something on my end or something I could fix easily myself.  No sense returning a perfectly good loco.

I did try to do some research on the minimum radius before ordering, but didn't find anything definitive.  I liked the loco and decided to take the gamble whether it would work.  As I mentioned previously, it negotiates a level 18"R curve, but throwing a grade into the mix is just too much.

No, the drivers aren't slipping.  The loco just slows down almost to a stop once it starts up the grade, but doesn't ever completely stop and stall out.  This would be running at approx. half throttle.  If I advance the throttle higher, it will maintain some speed up the grade.  Now if the throttle is anything less than half it will stop and stall out.

Thanks everyone.

Doneldon

T1911 -

By "stall out," do you mean the loco stops moving but the wheels keep turning or do you mean the wheels stop but you can hear the motor straining?
                                                                                                       -- D

Kris Everett

good point that makes a difference.

;D

TB16

Thomas1911

By "stall out" I would mean the motor would stop turning.  My loco doesn't stall, the drivers don't slip, it just slows to a crawl when climbing a grade.  I can shine a flashlight and see the drive belt slowly turning and obviously the train still moves.  I'm just unsure of the reason it does this since none of my other locos seem to experience this problem.

Kris Everett

then this sound like it's a problem the engine it self and nothing else. i would send it to get serviced by bachmann.

:) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;):) ;)

on other thoughts

dose the problem still happen when u run that train alone?

ABC

From the description, it does not sound like something you can fix, unless you you wider radius curves and reduce the grade. I wouldn't send it in because it will be a waste of time (and money) because it is just the nature of the loco. Heck, mine won't even run on 18" radius let alone on a 3% incline. Consider yourself lucky that it runs on 18" radius at all because Bachmann even suggests a minimum radius of 22".

BaltoOhioRRfan

This is making me think about getting mine out and testing it....while i've had it for a few years i haven't really run it besides on a test track. My intentions for it were light commuter service pulling 2-3 heavyweights(Spectrum) Maybe this weekend I'll get it out and run her with a test consist.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Thomas1911

I am in agreement with ABC.  At this point I don't think anything is particularly wrong with the loco, just that its being taxed to its limits by the combination of the curve and the grade of my layout.  I'll just have to work around it.  I was just concerned that something could be wrong or this is a common problem.

Thanks everyone.