News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

crossing track question

Started by wasunka, May 19, 2007, 06:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasunka

This is an HO/On30 E-Z track question.

Assume three parallel tracks, named A, B and C.  A and B are main lines, and C is a yard track.

I want to depart track C, cross (but not enter) track B, and enter track A.

Any suggestions as to track pieces, spacing between the lines, etc?  As I am totally new to E-Z track, I am asking for help.

Thanks,

Joe (wasunka)

Bojangle

I believe the  #5 turnout is 12 degrees, but they don't make a 12 degree crossing to match.  their remote turnout is equivalent to  30 degrees, and they make a 30 degree crossing.  The spacing will be wide due to the sharp angle of the turnout.
Bo

Atlantic Central

This cannot be done in EZ track. You can do it with atlas or Peco track, they have crossings with the same frog anle as their turnouts to all such a crossover.

I haveserval such crossing on my layout using Atlas track.

Sheldon

Bojangle

I just assembled 2 EZ right hand remotes with a 30 degree crossing in between, fits perfectly.  The final track spacing is about 4-5/8 inch (center to center) , a bit wide as I mentioned, but the tracks are exactly parallel. 
At some point in  your layout , you will probably have to cut some custom length pieces.  Various ways to do this, for more info I can email you.
Beware of "Carpenter's Syndrome"---"I cut it twice and it's still too short"   
Bo

Atlantic Central

Bo,

The use of two Atlas #4's and their 12.5 degree crossing gives you perfect 2" track centers.

2" track centers has become the defacto standard in HO. It is a bit wider than actual prototype, but looks good and works well.

On the real railroads land costs money, so tracks are spaced a closely as possible to allow for more in the future if needed and to save land /expense.

Many modelers egnore this prototype detail and run tracks willy nilly with no regard for spacing, but close observation of the prototype will show tracks closely and effiecently spaced in most cases. This is especially true on larger railroads.

Sheldon

wasunka

Bojangles,

You indicated 4-5/8" spacing.
Is that track "A" to "C" or "A" to "B"?

Thanks,

Joe

Atlantic Central

Joe,

What Bo is refering to is installing the small curved section then a 30 degree crossing then another small curved section before the the next turnout.

"A" to "B" spacing = 4-5/8", "B" to "C" spacing = 4-5/8"

"A" to C" spacing = rediculous 9-1/4"

Sheldon

pdlethbridge

here is the Atlas solution:

Bojangle

The first thread said  "EZ track question", asking if it could be done with EZ track.  My response was that it can be done. I was not referring to the small curved section that comes with the Atlas "snap switch",  the Bachmann EZ turnout is equivalent to a full 18" section,  whereas the Atlas is equivalent to a 2/3 section of 18". That's why they supply the 1/3 piece.   Hopefully Bachmann will make a 12 degree crossing to match their turnout. 
Bo

Atlantic Central

Bo,

I will confess a limited knowledge of EZ track pieces, as I am 35 years past the set track stage. But the fact remains that at the spacing you mentioned, such an arrangment would be pointless.

I know you are just learning and sorting out all this track stuff, may I recommend saving yourself some learning curve time by moving right to
"flex track".

As I have suggested in other posts, my preferance is Atlas turnouts and flex track on homasote roadbed. Homasote roadbed is sold by the California Roadbed Co.

This is a time tested system that has worked for many modelers for many years.

Sheldon