News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Unloading hopper cars

Started by richg, July 11, 2010, 11:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Possible project for unloading hopper cars on a siding. A little styrene. Place on the car.

If the front and rear booms move, maybe place in posistion as if it is getting up on the car. Would be a nice conversation piece.

Rich

jbsmith

It is going to be interesting to see how he gets OUT of that hopper. ;D
i bet OSHA would go ape over this.

richg

Quote from: jbsmith on July 11, 2010, 12:41:58 PM
It is going to be interesting to see how he gets OUT of that hopper. ;D
i bet OSHA would go ape over this.

Below is a link to that machine that is made by the Herzog company.  It is like any type of machine, the company has operating instructions and training for machines, depending on the complexity of the machine.
I found this link while searching out Herzog oppen top hopper cars I found on a CSX line nearby.
Yes, with any kind of machine, if there is an accident OSHA will investigate.

I use to operate a regular bucket loader. There is always a possibility of an accident for different reasons.

http://www.herzogcompanies.com/railroad_services_cartopper_material_handler.php

Rich

Doneldon

Rich and JB-

I thought this was a crazy joke until I went to Rich's link and saw that this is a real deal.  It's outrageous!  This would make an outstanding working/animated model.  I suppose it would have to be in at least O or even large scale to have room inside for the servos and wiring.  But I have to say, I really love this sequence of photos.

-- D

Jim Banner

Some years ago, I watched a similar machine with a grab instead of a bucket unloading ties out of gondolas.  Just picked them up and dropped them like matchsticks in a continuous pile alongside the track.  Unfortunately, I also saw the fire three days later that burned them all up.  I suspect the helter skelter way they were piled, along with a gentle wind, led to the rapid spread and the ferocity of the fire.  The only thing that eventually stopped it was a river that was crossed by a steel bridge.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.