News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Preping HO Trains For Storage

Started by kman781, July 14, 2010, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kman781

Hello,

I am looking for tips on how to properly store away HO locomotives without their original packaging (Thomas Line) for a long period of time, probably 4 or more years. Obviously cleaning the wheels and lubricating any gears is a must, but any other tips such as the type of packaging recommended or containers and where to obtain packing materials? Thanks!

sparkyjay31

Other than what you posted, I'd recommend keeping them in a dry, low humid environment.

Best of luck.
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

OldTimer

Bubble wrap is readily available as are packing peanuts.  As a low cost alternative, I've successfully packed cars and loco's in multiple layers of newspaper and then separated them in the storage box with wadded up newspaper.  SparkyJay's suggestion about a low humidity environment is VERY important.  If your packing is part of a move, I'd ask the moving company for suggestions since the mover's insurance company may dictate certain materials and methods.  Hope this helps.
Just workin' on the railroad.

ryeguyisme

wrap 'em in paper towels, works in my family

ebtbob

Good Evening,

When talking about storing locomotives or diesels,  regardless of what type of boxes or wraps you use,  make sure that the engines are stored as if sitting on their wheels.   Lubricants will follow the laws of gravity over time,  and if the engine/s are laying on their sides,  they end up laying in their lubricants.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Doneldon

kman-

Use acid-free paper as your first layer.  It will allow some air movement and not discolor your equipment.  Bubblewrap (the small kind) is great for cushioning things and it is reasonably priced.  Pack several wrapped pieces in small boxes, tightly enough they can't move around, and then pack the smaller boxes in a larger one.  I'd add extra cushioning betwen the smaller boxes if they will be moved around much, not just stored. This goes double for things which will be commercially shipped or moved. 

It's none of my business but that generally doesn't deter me, so why are you storing for four years?  A child who enjoys such toys now won't in four years.  Or perhaps you're planning more kids and want to have the materials available to start indoctrinating them to trains as early as possible.  As I mentioned, it's none of my business.
                                                                                                                                                  -- D

CNE Runner

Having stored trains for considerable lengths of time in the past, the suggestions mentioned in previous posts are good. One very important item I should add is NEVER store anything encased in foam. For example my Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0s are held in their boxes with foam. They are now in storage (top shelf of a closet) and are wrapped in acid free paper - then placed into their foam packaging (which is in turn placed within the original cardboard boxes). Foam deteriorates over time and will adhere itself to the locomotive.

Do not wrap either the car/locomotive nor the final packaging in plastic wrap as this will serve to keep moisture in. If you have selected your storage area with care, you will want the packaging to 'breathe' and maintain acceptably stable environment.

After avoiding foam, the most important storage element are the ambient conditions of the storage space. Basements and attics are definitely out (especially in the South). If possible, a place having lower humidity and controlled temperatures is best. Simply put, any place you would spend the day (or sleep in) should be OK for train storage.

Keep in mind that the most important element with the storage of model trains is what you do when the storage period is completed. Locomotives will probably need wheel cleaning and lubrication before their first run. If you are unable (or unfamiliar) with this process...see your LHS for service. When we sell locomotives, at train shows, I always include a card that strongly suggests this procedure.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

kman781

Wow! Definitely lots of great advice, thanks folks! Yeah, I'm going away for a long time (Marine Corps), so the trains will have to stay behind til I'm married wit a house. :( But that's for me to figure out.

jonathan

Ooh Rah!

If you ever get to Quantico, you can come play with, er operate my trains.

Regards,

Jonathan

OldTimer

Just workin' on the railroad.

Doneldon

kman-

From a Navy puke to a jar head - take care and be safe.  You'll be in our thoughts and prayers all the way.

--doneldon

robin

Kman,

Thanks for your service.  If you're ever in Q-town (Quantico), stop by the AMTRACK Station.  It houses the home layout of the Prince William Co Model RR Club.  www.pwmrc.org  One more thing about storage - don't leave trains in an attic where temperatures can heat the metal parts which will in turn melt adjoining plastic parts.

Semper Fi
Robin USMC 1975-1995

kman781

Will do, thanks folks. (though Im going in Enlisted so we'll see if I ever get to Quantico). Semper Fi!

napa15

Semper Fi young man. Good luck to you. Thanks for your service.

(USAF/SSgt Vet)

jonathan

I was enlisted and spent 3 years at Quantico in the early '90s.  Great tour.  Met my wife there.  Got married at the Marine Memorial Chapel.

Regards,

Jonathan