engine #425

Started by RBMN #425 Fan, July 14, 2010, 08:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBMN #425 Fan

thanks for the help ABC
here is it in black
here is blue, upper headlight

and here is the modern blue centered headlight
in Jim Thorpe, PA by CNJ F-3 unit (currently lackawana; under overhaul in steamtown) :)
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

ebtbob

Interesting fact about the 425 - the pilot truck has one axle with spoked wheels and the other axle with solid wheels with "spokes" painted on the wheels.   Wonder if a manufacturer would go to that level of detail if a model of that engine was to be produced.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

RBMN #425 Fan

to tell you the truth i never noticed that before :-[
i only noticed the first two wheels being spoked and the last two pilot wheels being solid :)
and in the blue, upper headlight picture; the 425 was actually on a trial run in 2007 during the last stages of its overhaul,(notice the white cab, and no writing on the auxiliary water tender. its suppose to say,
                                                                   "You Can Ride This Train
                                                                     For Tickets Please Call
                                                                         (610) 562-****"
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!

RBMN #425 Fan

Here is another update for this year. Here's 425 and LGSRY SD-40-2 #426
arriving in Port Clinton PA 6-10-10(the update is the red numberboard under the headlight and the white flags. [they used to be american flags])
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!

OldTimer

White flags displayed on a locomotive (or white lights at night) mean that the train is moving as an "extra," which in this case means "not on the timetable."
Just workin' on the railroad.

DUCKY01

I believe you are incorrect in the statement that #425 never rode on Reading Rails before it came to Reading, Blue Mountain & Northern. It
was used on the short lived Valley Forge Scenic Railroad, based in Kimberton, Pa. for a few years hauling passengers on the Kimberton
Branch of the Reading Railroad.

RBMN #425 Fan

Quote from: DUCKY01 on July 16, 2010, 03:06:00 PM
I believe you are incorrect in the statement that #425 never rode on Reading Rails before it came to Reading, Blue Mountain & Northern. It
was used on the short lived Valley Forge Scenic Railroad, based in Kimberton, Pa. for a few years hauling passengers on the Kimberton
Branch of the Reading Railroad.
Actually i stated that it rode on reading, lehigh valley, and jersey central rails before it came to RBMN on the Blue Mountain & Reading Railroad. this was when it was blue upper headlight and for a short time it was in the black upper headlight
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!

ebtnut

As far as I know, no model of the 425 has been made, either mass producition or in brass.  The loco is sort of a transistional engine - probably a bit smaller than a USRA light, but equipped with the cast steel Delta trailing truck.  And IIRC, the engine was built for the Gulf, Mobile and Northern, which later became part of the GM&O.  It went to the Lousiana & Eastern, and is one of only a very few locos from that large collection that survived when the owner passed away.  There was a long story about the L&E in Railfan about a year ago.  I got to ride the cab on her on the Valley Forge Scenic, and saw her several more times in RBM&N days, and once at Steamtown during the opening year.