News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What couplers are these

Started by stevep100, August 16, 2010, 07:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevep100

Dear Mr Bachman
could you please tell me what couplers are fitted to my Spectrum N scale Burlington Northern GE EMD SD-45 please and also which spring loaded knuckle style I could replace them with because I dont know what rolling stock to look for to use it with. sorry, I know another newbie but help would be appreciated thanks :-\

Stevep

ABC

I can't tell you without a picture. But in general newer locos have dummy knuckles and older locos have Rapido couplers.

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
It probably has Rapido type couplers. You can replace them with our new knuckles or Micro-trains couplers.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

stevep100

I was kinda hoping I could thanks man

Stevep  ;D

keithwarltier

Dear Mr. Bach-man,
Could you please say what  'new knuckles' refers to in  'You can replace them with our new knuckles or Micro-trains couplers.'?
Thanks,
Keith

the Bach-man

Dear Keith,
New locos, like the 2-6-6-2, have an operating knuckle coupler. I have been told it can be used installed on older models. I will keep you updated on availability.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

keithwarltier

Thank you Mr. Bachman.  That's good news.
Cheers,
Keith

the Bach-man

Dear Keith,
Well, maybe not so good, at least at first.
The new coupler has an integral spring that centers it horizontally. The T shank dummy coupler centers vertically. Therefore, the only way to put knuckles on an older, Rapido equipped loco is use the T shank dummy or a Micro Trains coupler.
The good news is that we are working on a conversion that doesn't violate anyone's patent and that will be adaptable.
And, Keith, I've forwarded you request for an NEM version as well.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

keithwarltier

Dear Mr. Bach-man,

Could you please let me know the status of the NEM version?

Regards,
Keith