News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Layout Development

Started by bklynconductor, August 19, 2010, 05:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bklynconductor

Ok, got first set A Golden Spike set.

I have a 3'6" x 7'6" Layout , so far I have laid out the Streets. I plan on converting to DCC and would like to run two NYC Transits lines and a freight line. The two NYC transit lines are going to originate out of a train yard, the track will travel around the outskirts of the city Streets. The freight line will pass through. i know that I have my work cut out for me. I wont be doing any scratch building as of yet, Maybe the track work but the building models I am going with easy assemble structures for now. I plan on wiring the street lights and automatic signaling for the trains.

What could I use for the roadbed of the streets for Asphalt?   

P.S. Before I proceed I will post layout from beginning to end. All feedback and suggestions are Welcome             
V=I*R

CNE Runner

bklynconductor - You have to check out the layout on the website I have included below. It is entitled Brooklyn 3 a.m. and is absolutely unbelievable!
Woodland Scenics makes a product that can be used for asphalt roads/streets. The product is called "Complete Road System" and can be had from Walthers (among others). I, personally, have not used this product.

Good luck with your project.
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

bklynconductor

V=I*R

CNE Runner

Somewhere on the website there is a segment that contains a video clip of Brooklyn 3 a.m...well worth watching. I wish I had 1/10 of the talent this guys seems to possess.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

bkln-

There are lots of possible street materials.  For asphalt you can use fabric adhesive tape painted dark gray and striped, gray 3M sanding belts or sandpaper, one of the commercial street systems, or cinder ballast attached to your layout with glue or carefully spread clear caulk.  For cement there are commercial materials, the gray side of cardboard (not corrugated) with a white wash, or painted styrene.  For gravel roads, use caulk shaped into ruts and covered with limestone ballast.

Please note that signals are quite complex to install and set up to operate.  I only mention that because your post sounds like you might want to keep it simple on this layout.

-- D

bklynconductor

Thanks for the Asphalt solution.

I'm ready to jump into this project head first, Just completed Electronics Technician course, didn't think that model railroading would be an opportunity to get to work on something directly related to my new feild.  Brand new to both. I'm ready, and besides this forum is a Knowledge base with experienced modeler's like yourself. So (lol) I'll have a lot of questions as i go through the different stages of my lay out development.

Thanks Again for the asphalt solution

bklyn---           
V=I*R

jward

my only question is how are you going to do this all in less than a 4x8 sheet of plywood in HO scale? that seems awfully small.....

the legendary john allen's original layout was about that size, and he had to use 14" radius curves to make things fit. but he was using older smaller rolling stock on this layout.

http//www.gdlines.com for further info on john allen and his work.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA