News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Turnouts - Update & Questions

Started by richd286, August 24, 2010, 11:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richd286

What are the possible reasons that turnouts do not respond to the Dynamis controller after they have been programmed.

After some testing of the turnouts, and flipping the terminal track connector plug with no immediate response, suddenly one switch repeatedly responded, then all of them did for the remainder of that operating session.  Powered everything off and came back next day to no response again for a couple of minutes, then all the switches came alive again and worked perfectly again.  So it seems that there is an initial delay before the turnouts get the signal.  I wonder if my track layout (switching yard) has anything to do with it.  The six turnouts lead to 8 end of track sidings.  I have read up on DCC, an address is an address so this should not matter as long as the tracks are powered.  I wonder if the terminal plug track ( at the back of one of the sidings) is too remote?  Would an additional terminal plug in another location make the signal more uniform across the layout?  The locos all respond quickly anywhere on the layout so I know the power is getting to all track sections.  Thanks for taking the time to read this.  RD

Joe323

Quote from: Hunt on August 24, 2010, 03:34:34 PM
?? The issue occurs when power is turned on after the power has been turned off Dynamis ??

Re-address all the turnouts, I surmise all the Bachmann decoder equipped turnouts work until you power off and back on.  Correct?

If that's the case its good reason not to buy DCC turnouts this sounds like a PITA.  Personally I do my switching either manually or with conventional remote turnouts

hawaiiho

Quote from: Hunt on August 24, 2010, 03:34:34 PM
?? The issue occurs when power is turned on after the power has been turned off Dynamis ??

Re-address all the turnouts, I surmise all the Bachmann decoder equipped turnouts work until you power off and back on.  Correct?

Could you please provide more detail on how this occurs when the Dynamis is turn off, then back on?

I have several DCC turnouts.

I have had my Dynamis for more than a year. I turn it on and off several times a day and have never had this happen.

Have I just been lucky, OR, have I been doing something right without even knowing. >gr<

Joe323

I use EZ Command at home  My home layout is small and does not require a more sophisticated system at this time. 

I am also unwilling to throw out perfectly good analog turnouts that were already wired and operating when I converted to DCC.  I just thought it was strange that your turnouts would lose their addresses at power off and that if this is a regular occurrence with DCC turnouts it might be worth avoiding.  I have never heard of decoders becoming deprogrammed at shut down.  If your into computers think about the difference between RAM and and stored data on a hard drive.  The decorder is the hard drive.

I do not know why you would having this problem all I'm saying is if its a common occurrence with stationary DCC decoders its a dis-incentive for me to upgrade the manual turnouts to DCC.

hawaiiho

Quote from: Hunt on August 25, 2010, 02:43:21 PM
My question was to try to establish a troubleshooting starting point.

I understand that.

Hawaiiho don't read anything into my question. Thanks for advising you can turn your Dynamis system on and off and still use the Dynamis to control your Bachmann factory decoder equipped turnouts. (If you are not using Bachmann factory decoder equipped turnouts then what?)

Mine are all Bachmann DCC turnouts. Someone using other makes of DCC Turnouts will have to address that issue.

What address have you programmed to each of your turnouts?

I am using 4,5,6,& 7 for my DCC Turnouts.

The only problem that I have is one that seems to be common to the Dynamis and the Bachmann DCC Turnouts. . The displayed direction is reversed.

hawaiiho

Quote from: richd286 on August 24, 2010, 11:38:15 AM
What are the possible reasons that turnouts do not respond to the Dynamis controller after they have been programmed.

If you are still reading this thread and if you can provide me with a little more information, I will try and help.

Are you using the basic Dynamis or have you added to it?  Booster, computer connection,etc.

What brand of DCC Turnouts do you have?

Have you had any other problems with your Dynamis. Display, dropped locos, dropped settings, etc?

Are the Turnouts programmed lost or do they just not respond? I read your post as they remain programmed, but just no

longer respond.

Will

richd286

Thanks to all who responded.  The Bachmann DCC turnouts programmed perfectly with the Dynamis and during that operating session I moved from one to another ( there are six turnouts in all ) and it was DCC heaven.  I have had very good luck with Bachmann items.  I am running a basic Dynamis unit, the base and one handheld.  All new.   

However,  when I returned the following day the first turnout responded quickly, then  I moved to the next and it did not respond so I moved back to the first turnout and it now did not respond.   I powered down and returned later, I went directly to the second turnout and it responded, but others did not.  So it seemed that the first turnout addressed responded but subsequent turnouts did not.  It became pretty much a random problem but persistent.

All the literature says you should be easily able to run 6 turnout accessories, and for the first session it did.  I wonder if I changed a setting on the handheld?

I appreciate anyones suggestions for a remedy.   Moving freight through the yard flipping switches from the handheld while the switcher is creeping down the yard ladder makes for interesting times.  Thanks all.

richd286

To clarify,  the turnouts did retain their identity.  Something is going on that either makes them invisible sometimes or is interfering with the signal and switching from one to the other creates a conflict.

I will have to pull each turnout and test them independently.

One odd thing, is that the Dynamis control base has no on/off switch.  I have it plugged into a surge protection unit.

hawaiiho

I have my Dynamis set up the same way. I turn it on and off with the switch on the power(surge protector) bar.

I have experienced something similar, but,  as it turned out,  it had nothing to do with turning the power on and off.

When I run a particular locomotive through one particular turnout(I have four), it(the turnout) then quits responding.

I found that by pressing the Emergency Stop button and releasing it clears the problem, until the next time I run the

same locomotive through the same turnout.

So, my question is:  Does this occur when you are running one or two particular locomotives?

If you have several different locomotives, try them one at a time and see what happens.

Your's may be a completely different situation, but it's worth a try.

Will

richd286

Hi Will,
Yes, the surge protector is the power switch with me as well.  Surge protection here on the west coast of Florida, "lightning capital of the world" is required for anything of value.

I have never observed the fault to occur with anyone one locomotive.  Pressing the stop button does not restore the turnout.  I have to power down and up.  I can select anyone of the six and it will work fine. but when I move to select another switch,  there is no response.

I have 6 Bachmann DCC locos (high and low end) and all work very well.   

Rich

Anthony P2

i have a quick question: could i use regular bachmann E-Z switches (using them on a DC controler to operate them) if my layout is DCC or do i have to use DCC switches?

Doneldon

Anthony-

You can use any switch from any manufacturer.  They can be remote-controlled or manual.  You might want to choose the so-called DCC friendly switches but they aren't really necessary.  However, you will find that things will go together easiest if your switches and track are from the same manufacturer or at least have the same size rail, e.g., code 100 with code 100. code 70 with code 70, etc.
                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

hawaiiho

Quote from: richd286 on August 28, 2010, 08:16:02 AM
Hi Will,

I have never observed the fault to occur with anyone one locomotive.  Pressing the stop button does not restore the turnout.  I have to power down and up.  I can select anyone of the six and it will work fine. but when I move to select another switch,  there is no response.

I have 6 Bachmann DCC locos (high and low end) and all work very well.   

Rich

This is the closest thing to what was occurring on your layout that I have ever had happen.

Like I said, it was worth a try.  Maybe someone else can come up with a another idea.

Will

richd286

DCC turnouts do not have DC capability.   They can be switched manually.  I have moved them to another location easily and they retain the address. 

richd286

Thanks for the feedback.  Bachmann quickly replaced some switches I thought were a problem.