News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ideas wanted

Started by ap0317ah, May 27, 2007, 10:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ap0317ah

Hey everyone last night around 10:00pm I tore up a section of my B&O 1920's era layout. ;) The space measures 4'x4' which leaves alot of possablity for a 20's era town. :o any ideas would be greatly appraccated. ;D

Tom
a 1920's Baltimore & Ohio modeler

Conrail Quality

You could put in a giant factory, which would by the employer for the town. I think Walthers is re-releasing one of their giant factories(A power plant, I think it was). Or, you could make it into a quiet, serene park. Or, you could put in a scrapper's yard, where your excess cars and locos could go when you're finished canabalizing them. Or, if you are thinking about the future, you could make it into a huge parking lot, in preparation for the big-box chain that is fated to move into town 70 years later...
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

ap0317ah

yes the factory could be a possabality but yet so could a rural seting with a simple feight platform

Tom

wade

How about a short line interchange? The Preston RR comes to mind but there were many in that era. Better yet Ma & Pa. Bachmann has power ready for you. Or how about a coal mine or creamery or stockyards and .....
  I model transition era but the 20s are tempting .
Good Luck;
Wade
Wade

ap0317ah

wade
ok those are all good ideas but i have a fairly large saw and milling company that is on that part of the layout i plan to keep
keep thinkin and help me out

Tom

SteamGene

What is around the area you tore up?  You said a '20s era town, right?  Is it the outskirts of a city? 
Why doen't you think several scenes?  How about a speak easy and some flappers going in while down the street Buggs Moran shoots up Al Capone's hotel?  (I know, wrong city, but I don't know the names of Baltimore gangsters.  ??? 
How close is it to track?  If close, a few industries. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ap0317ah

thanks Gene you have been most helpful like always. These coments are helping

Tom

Paul M.

Why not a 'bad neighborhood' ?   You could have junked cars, run-down/vacant houses, even a "chalk" outline of a dead HO- scale figure.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

I'm not sure they did chalk outlines of bodies in the 1920s.  Before I did that, I'd have to verify the practice.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ap0317ah

Thanks, keep thinking, i have come up with a few of my own ideas....

a contractors yard (a place for me to keep all my detailed parts i have not found better uses for yet.)

a cement foundery

a speak easy (of corse these where part baltimore)

a few other buildings

roads(thats a given)

thanks
Tom

Ps how do i up load pictures

bevernie

How about a burning building? I've not yet had time to get it together, but I'm planning one that has a smoking building with fire trucks and police cars, and everything else that goes with a fire! It will have sirens (that I got out of toy fire trucks and police cars) and lights (some of which are activated with the siren electronics).The (three) different siren sounds will be controlled by switches., so that you can have one, two, or all three working at one time! I wired the fire truck and police car lights to a "flame-maker" (that I got a good deal on at a train show), which is also wired to lights in the burning building for the "flashing effect. I'm thinking about making it such that I can separate it from my layout to take it to train shows and contests. Of course, right now, it's still on the planning table, as is the rest of my layout!! Oh, the life of a truck driver!!

THANX!!
                                                                                                Ernie
                                                                                     Hendersonville, NC
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

BIG BEAR

Tom,
     You could have a couple farms, to serve the stock yard. Maybe a river running through it w/ a trestled bridge crossing it.

Good luck,
                   Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

ap0317ah

yes Barry a farm and a small rulal town are becoming the first plan.

Tom

r.cprmier

If you'd like some ideas based upon some very nice work, check out "Valley Track" club here in Connecticut.  Their members' work has graced the covers of many Model Railroader" mags.  the last was April.  His lumber yard intrigues me.

Rich

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

ap0317ah

thank you all your ideas have helped me greatly. i think ill go with a little more rural setting with a small town with a few shops and homes. Along with a station siding and water tower. on the other side i will have a platform, coal tower, water tower,  single bay loco shed and two sidings. i will also have a small paesture. if i could find out how to post pics i would  8)
Thanks again
Tom