Street Car - is the barn really necessary??

Started by DNJOHNSTON, September 15, 2010, 06:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DNJOHNSTON

I want to purchase a street car system either HO or On30 to include in a Department 56 Christmas village.  For this purpose the Car Barn is not suitable.

I had a Department 56 Street car set made by Bachmann ON30 a few years back which worked strictly with bumpers at each end (no ugly car barn).  Can I get by with just bumpers at each end or is the barn truly necessary?  Is there another option if bumpers alone wont work??

Thank

Dan

ABC

The barn is the reversing mechanism, alternatively you can buy a reversing mechanism separately, but most auto-reversers made to change the polarity on reverse loops would not work and additionally only work with DCC for their purpose. Reversing mechanisms built for this type of use will work just as well as the shed.

James in FL

Hi  Dan,

First, let me state that I am not well versed in other scales other than N.
It is my understanding the "car barn" houses the reversing circuitry.
From what I'm getting from your post, referring to the bumpers, I surmise the bumpers are some type of micro-switch, when made (contact), reverses the polarity. Where the circuit components are located I don't know.
Possibly under the track?

Either way...
I have used this unit;

http://www.ironpeng.com/ipe/auto_r.html

Again, for N scale, and have 2000+ hours on it trouble free.
The circuit has been used for the last 3 Christmas seasons.

Maybe an option for you?
I paid 30 USD at a show several years ago.

Good Luck.

BIG BEAR

Hey All,

The one dan probably used, was made by Bachmann for Dept 56 some time ago. The bumpers actuated a bumper switch to throw the trolley into reverse. The trolley reversed not the polarity of the track.
  The new trolley sets by bachmann in On30, with the tan Bldg look better than the older red brick one, but stll need improvement. On my D-56, Lemax layout I just decorate a little, a wreath on the side with a park bench underneath it, a little green lighted garland around the eves to distract from the crappy looking roof, and a little snow, it does blend in very nicely to the whole set.

Enjoy,
  Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.