News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-2 Prairie wobble

Started by SouthernCrescent, October 11, 2010, 02:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthernCrescent

I bought a Bachmann 2-6-2 Prairie and it runs very poorly.  Basically, anything above a very slow roll causes it to wobble to the point where the drivers lose contact with the track.  This results in a rapid stop'n'go action.
It looks like one or two of the axles may be bent because as the wheels go around, they alternatly come up off the track slightly.  You have to look really close to see it.
I brought it back to HobbyTown USA and they told me I have to send it in for repair!? >:(
Smoke unit only works in reverse, too ???

This is my first Bachmann locomotive.  Not impressed so far.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas?  I don't want to give up and put this thing in my "static display" closet or the trash.

Thanks

rogertra

The 2-6-2 is NOT a very good loco to begin with.  It comes from the time when Bachmann was known as "Botchmann", for very good reasons.

It's not even based on a prototype.  It's just the cheap Bachmann 0-6-0 with a leading and trailing truck added.

If you want quality, you have to pay for it.  From Bachmann buy ONLY from the Spectrum Line although the Standard Line 2-8-0 is a good loco as it was the first Spectrum range produced and as recently been demoted from the Spectrum Line to the Standard Line.

ABC

The smoke is not an issue, actually you are better off without any smoke and removing it, or at least not using it because the smoke & fluid will make the locomotive and track dirty to the point it won't run anymore without a thorough cleaning. As far as the wobble is concerned, it sounds like the loco is damaged, so as long as you have your original receipt and warranty card you can send it in for repair (but you must pay for shipping to Bachmann in Philadelphia, PA). 

bobwrgt

If you used a credit card to pay, first thing i would do is call the credit card company and dispute the charge. Defective merchandise.That should get you some attention from Hobbytown and a return or exchange engine from them.
Other than that you will have to send it into Bachmann for repair. An axel could be bent
but one of the drive wheels could also not be pressed on the axel or off center. In addition the drivers could be out of quarter. All of the above should be fixed or replaced by Bachmann.

It is obvious that ABC does not like smoke. Everytime it is mentioned he lets us know. There are however some of us that use it and like it just as well.
Even if this is not a Spectrum engine it should run better that what you got.

Bob

Joe323

I have one of the 2-6-2 prairies and did send it back for service.  It was out of Warranty so I paid $15 and they replaced it.  the new unit runs fine.  Its a low end engine but they did stand behind it.  Anyway its a holiday use only runner.

Steam is King

I'm sorry that you are having problems with your 2-6-2 and I'm sure that Bachmann will stand behind it with their service department but this does show the need for a newer Spectrum 2-6-2. Yes, I'm promoting it again. This thread is a prime example of a needed product. Mr. Bachmann, please take note and comment.

SouthernCrescent

Hey All,
Thanks for the feedback.  I appreciate the input.  I'm well aware of the hazards of smoke, and I don't usually run it, but I like to know that it will work on special occasions.  And I do clean the track (probably more than I need to) anyway.

Still hope to get a word from the Bach-Man.  I guess I'll end up sending it in, but am somewhat sad knowing that this is a "bad" product and even if they fix/replace it, it will still be marginal.  I'm all about getting what you pay for, but in this case we're talking about a small, no frills loco that retails for nearly $100.  I bought my son an Athearn blue box set for $130 and that included a GP38-2, four cars, bachmann e-z track and a power pack.  That set has over a hundred hours on it without a hickup, so... :-\

ABC

Steam locomotives are more expensive than diesel locomotives; you can get a great diesel loco for the same price as a marginal steam loco.

Stephen D. Richards

SouthernCrescent,  I'm suprised the 2-6-2 you have has that wobble.  However, as stated that is a low end steam loco.  I have one and it runs fine.  Bachmann will most certainly fix the problem for you.  If you paid "nearly $100" for it you may have paid too much for it.  Check the internet, especially The FavoriteSpot.  Great place to deal with.  Don't be afraid of Bachmann!  Their quality has risen 1000 percent in the last 10 years.  Maybe a stretch... but I do have some Bachmann locos from the seventies and eighties!  I usually take them apart for the parts and what detail I can get.  Stephen

Joe323

Quote from: Stephen D. Richards on October 12, 2010, 09:27:22 AM
SouthernCrescent,  I'm suprised the 2-6-2 you have has that wobble.  However, as stated that is a low end steam loco.  I have one and it runs fine.  Bachmann will most certainly fix the problem for you.  If you paid "nearly $100" for it you may have paid too much for it.  Check the internet, especially The FavoriteSpot.  Great place to deal with.  Don't be afraid of Bachmann!  Their quality has risen 1000 percent in the last 10 years.  Maybe a stretch... but I do have some Bachmann locos from the seventies and eighties!  I usually take them apart for the parts and what detail I can get.  Stephen

Have to agree with Stephen  I picked mine up from a flea market vendor, with a bunch of other stuff for $30.  The box said $15 so with the $15 I sent Bachmann it cost $30 + postage.

SouthernCrescent

ABC

Yeah it is listed at $100, but nobody in their right mind would pay the full retail price if they can get it for half that price.
New Western Pacific 2-6-2 $55 free shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/Bachmann-51525-HO-PRAIRE-2-6-2-W-SMOKE-WP-/270614941786?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3f01e8505a
Many online retailers have them for $50 plus about $10-$15 shipping. I got one at hobby lobby with a 40% off coupon for $40 after tax and I got another brand new one on ebay for $20 including shipping.

jbsmith

Quote from: SouthernCrescent on October 11, 2010, 08:44:14 PM
Hey All,
Thanks for the feedback.  I appreciate the input.  I'm well aware of the hazards of smoke, and I don't usually run it, but I like to know that it will work on special occasions.  And I do clean the track (probably more than I need to) anyway.

Still hope to get a word from the Bach-Man.  I guess I'll end up sending it in, but am somewhat sad knowing that this is a "bad" product and even if they fix/replace it, it will still be marginal.  I'm all about getting what you pay for, but in this case we're talking about a small, no frills loco that retails for nearly $100.  I bought my son an Athearn blue box set for $130 and that included a GP38-2, four cars, bachmann e-z track and a power pack.  That set has over a hundred hours on it without a hickup, so... :-\

Well as we all know,,,Nobody beats the Chinese when it comes to quality control! ;D

IT is the same as with just about any other product, now and then some less than perfect few still gets through somehow.
Maybe you got the last one made on a Friday around quiting time or the first one made on a Monday morning. ;D

Anyways,,Bachmann does an excellent job honoring their warranty and standing behind their products.
Once you get yours fixed or a new one whichever the case may be, i think that you find the 2-6-2 is actually a decent little locomotive.

The only part that kinda stinks is paying for the postage and waiting.
But once you get it back and running it you will forget all about that.

surveyorbill

Quote from: Stephen D. Richards on October 12, 2010, 09:27:22 AM

The only Ebay store I use  is The  Favorite Spot as he takes a check or money order. As Ebay requires the bloodsucking Paypal I do not normally look there anymore. Ebid is a good try to find RR stuff.

SouthernCrescent

Quote from: jbsmith on October 13, 2010, 10:00:25 PM
Anyways,,Bachmann does an excellent job honoring their warranty and standing behind their products.
Once you get yours fixed or a new one whichever the case may be, i think that you find the 2-6-2 is actually a decent little locomotive.
So I sent it in and got a message from Laura at X304 today.  She says "the gears are covered with some sort of black oil" and they have to "replace the entire mechanism" for $15.

Where is the Bach-Man????
I've owned this loco for a few months and in that time have run it MAYBE an hour total due to the poor running.  I have certainly never attempted to 'service' it in any way.

Now I get a voicemail accusing me!?!?!?!?! >:(

I don't care if this loco cost $50 or $500.... that's BS!!!
I am fairly certain that no "black oil" in the world would cause the drivers to lift off the tracks.