Athearn GP40-2 Replacing a broken sideframe

Started by Ken S., October 16, 2010, 05:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S.

The problem I'm having is that the peg from the old sideframe is jammed into the slot for the new sideframe and I can not get it out at all.  Does anyone have any ideas short of buying a new engine. I'd hate to have to bother Athearn again for a new power truck for this engine when I just asked for new sideframes.

Ken S.

I got it. Anger increases my strength which enabled me to push the screwdriver and old peg through the hole.

jonathan

You don't need to ask for new sideframes or a truck.  Take some 5-min epoxy, or krazy glue, and reattach the peg...Then file or sand the peg just a smidge, so it won't be so sticky in the truck hole.  I've done that with some old Athearn Geeps and it works.

Thought it was only me who occasionally broke the side frame peg.  Thankfully, we're not alone.

Regards,

J

Ken S.

I did that, but I didn't feel comfortable running the engine with that fix in place Now I have to see what fix can be found for a slow AMD-103 since I don't want to take that truck apart for fear of ripping out wires and making the engine unusable. They still use the BB design on the Geeps, but the AMDs are DCC ready.

Ken S.

Well, I have a new problem with this engine. It takes power, but will not move.

EDIT: The engine was moving, but there are sparks coming from the cab. I do not want to use the engine in that condition. I need a reply ASAP.

Ken S.

I guess nobody here cares that I have an engine that could catch fire for all I know.

NMWTRR

Not sure I can help but will try.

First a couple of questions.
1. Is this Athearn GP 40 a recently manufacured locomotive or is it one of the old blue box engines?

2. Sparks can be caused by shorts.  I believe that they don't sell any with decoders but if you added one you might want to check the wiring, see if any wires are touching where they should not be.

3. It sounded like you changed the power truck, is that the case?  If so were you able to make the connections in the same place?

4. Last question I can think of, when you glued the frame back on, did you use super glue? If so were you careful about not getting it in the axles?  Maybe it is just locked up now.

Hope some of these questions help you track down the problem.

Best of luck :)

OldTimer

Does this sparking occur when your run one GP-40 or when you run them coupled together?
Just workin' on the railroad.

Ken S.

It looks like the light fixture was coming into contact with something near the back of the cab wiindow insert. I removed that part of the cab window insert and no more sparks. It had been sparking with the shell on, but not with the shell off.

DUCKY01

The older style Athearn locomotives (blue box kits) used a metal clip between the power
trucks and the motor. On top of this, the unit also has a headlight mounted to a stud
that is attached to the frame. It has a small brass wiper that makes contact to the metal clip between the motor and the trucks. If the headlight mount is bent down to much, it will produce sparks if it shorts out. If you did nothing in the way of removing the
truck from the frame while replacing the truck sideframe, then that's not what's causing the sparks that you are seeing. Also check to see if the motor brushes are clean and
not gunked with lubrication.

richg

Go to the below site and download the diesel loco, GP38-2, GP40-2, GP50. There is plenty of info concerning the running gear.
Contact Athearn for possible parts. If no parts, get some cheese to go with your whine.
Then search ebay for a possible junk loco.
With the parts cleaned in alcohol, I find two part 5 minute epoxy works very well.
Make sure to keep a boxcar load of Patience nearby. The size of the boxcar will depend on your age.

http://www.hoseeker.net/athearn.htm

Rich