News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

analog

Started by alexbann, October 23, 2010, 02:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexbann

I have an analog layout using EZ track.  My question is, if I want to have a second train on the siding, how do I keep if from running until I'm ready for it?

Michigan Railfan

Since your using analog, you are going to need a second terminal re-railer (the part where the plug from your power pack plugs into the track), and another power pack. The link at the bottom of this page will be isolated, plastic rail joiners. Rail joiners (if you don't already know what they are), are the metal pieces that go under the rails that connect the rails, and current flows through them to the rest of the track. The plastic ones stop current flow, so power won't go the the rest of the track. What you want to do is place the isolators on the rails of the switch that lead onto the mainline, so the currents won't mix. When pulling a locomotive out of the siding onto the mainline, or vice versa, make sure both power packs are at the same power level. Then, as it goes across, one truck will be on one track, the other on the other track, and it will pull out. Just use these and it'll work  ;)
here's the link: https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=0055&eq=&Tp=

alexbann

:)thank you.  I'm new to this and I really can use the help.

Pacific Northern

You would not need a second power pack if you feel comfortable splicing the second lead onto the main lead and use a toggle switch to activate the siding.
Pacific Northern

OldTimer

Well, first off, since you're only going to be running one train at a time, you do not need two power packs.  I assume your layout is something like an oval.  If you put a passing siding at one end of your oval, you can store one train on the siding while you run the other.  Then when you're ready to run the second train, stop the first, disconnect the power, throw the turnouts for the other track, connect power and off you go.

For a really simple solution on how to accomplish the above, go to your hobby shop, buy an Atlas Connector, take it home and READ THE DIRECTIONS.  It will help you do exactly what you want for $9.95 (msrp) plus tax.  Oh...and don't forget the pack of insulated rail joiners.  Here's a link to the Atlas site for a description of the Connector.  Hope this helps

https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=0205&eq=&Tp=

OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

toptrain1

* I am kind of repeating what everone said and adding a little'
* If it is small layout, single track, and you are running 1 train at a time.  You can use 1 power pack. Haveing a inslated sideing isn't enough.  A run thro parallel siding with a switch that alows you to pull into the siding off the main line, keep advancing in the same direction on the siding, to another switch to alow you to pull back on to the main line. That is a parallel run trough siding. You can isolate both parallel tracks and switch control the power to one or the other.
* So you would run 1 train on your loop,  around till it pulls on to the parallel section. Both parallel sections should be long enough tohold a train. Stop it there. Shut off power to that section. You change the position of the two switches, in and out of the sidinng,your other train is on the other parralel track which you now switch on .  Once you turn up you throtle off the other train goes. It is caller block wireing.
toptrain