News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N&W J binding

Started by PhilBostian, November 19, 2010, 07:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilBostian

I have a new Spectrum DCC Sound N&W Class J.  Just test ran it last night.  The locomotive seems very stiff, hard to get started, the chuff precedes the movement of the loco from a dead stop.

What is the chance that running will loosen up the binding or stutter, etc.?  Would I be better off to return it to Bachmann now?

Anyone have any experience with the new Js??

Thanks,

Phil Bostian

OldTimer

It's not unusual for new engines to be tight.  Carefully examine your loco to make sure that no packing material has worked its way into the mechanism.  Put the engine on the track and run it in both directions at varying speeds for about 30 minutes.  It should begin to smooth out after just a few minutes and then show continuing gradual improvement.  If you see NO improvement after 15 minutes or so, it's probably not going to get any better without some adjustments.  My experience with new Bachmann engines is that they  come well lubricated from the factory, so don't start oiling everything is sight before you've verified that the engine needs it.  Good Luck.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

jonathan

Likewise, my Bachmann Steamers get smoother, the more I run them.

The most delicate parts of the mechanics are the pick up brushes that touch the backs of the drivers.  I have a few where the brushes needed to be GENTLY re-alligned so they weren't hitting the spokes or not touching at all.  I check the brushes, and a few other things before the wheels touch the rails for the first time.

Proper seating of the tender plugs is also very important.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Jonathan

WTierce1

I had the same problem at one time and all it was that one of the sets of wheels were out of quarter. It isn't hard to put the wheels back in alignment.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad