News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trying to keep it simple

Started by robcope, November 18, 2010, 04:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robcope

I want to build a 3x6 n scale layout using bachmann ez track and the bachmann DCC system.  I just want to run two trains.  I am trying to find some good track plans and layout examples to get me started.  Thx.

randbo

atlas book introduction to n scale model railroading is perfect for you. has 9 layouts all of which are under your 36inch by 72inch size plan. it also has details on how to build each layout, including all wiring.

also, go to the atlas site and download the right track software. its freeware and all 9 layouts are already loaded in it. you can create layouts of any size with it.

now to make bachmann ez track layouts, download and run anytrack 4. its free for all layouts under 50 track pieces. it has the bachmann libraries in it. i use it for my bachmann ez track layouts. i use the right track for atlas layouts that are way more complicated.

randbo

you might want to consider buying another train set, like the empire builder. its pricey but the 4-8-4 engine is georgous and it looks awesome running.

i jumped in a short time ago wtih 3 train sets to get started. the explorer, the empire builder and the thunder valley. thats an inexpensive way to get alot of ez track, 3 terminal curve sections, 3 POWER PACKS, and 2 sets of signs and telephone poles. i purchased 4 turnouts and a couple of track packs.
i have alot of ez track now. the train sets are an economical way to build up stock. 3 engines and 20 stcok cars.

anyways, do get a bachmann mdt plymouth 0-6-0 diesel yard engine. those are a hoot and fun to run.
i am running cab control to start with as very small engines cant have DCC. the track is wired with 2 cab control for now and converting it to DCC is a snap as you just leave most of the track in one cab mode. you use the other cab control to power the yard engines, or any engine that you cannot get DCC boards mounted into.

mhampton

You might want to look at http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm for layout ideas.  They are all based on Atlas components, so you will have to do some tinkering to make them work with Bachmann track.

robcope