News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

this says light

Started by full maxx, November 22, 2010, 09:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

bobwrgt

Yes it will on level track not uphill.  The 4-8-2 Heavy and Light Mountain will pull more.
The light refers to the size and design of the engine not the weight of the actual  model.

Bob

full maxx

how does it run on 22 in radius curves
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jonathan

From my perspective, the issue comes down to weight.  I don't know if the 2-10-2 has a plastic or metal boiler, but here's what I've discovered, and what others have preached about:

Bob is right about the 4-8-2 heavy.  It has a metal boiler and is very hefty.  It will pull a ton of cars right out of the box (if youcan find one).

My 2-8-4 Berk would not pull more than 22 cars without slipping.  It is much lighter than the 4-8-2.  However, by adding some lead weight in the locomotive, the Berk can now pull as much as the 4-8-2.  The motors all seem strong enough.  The weight is for traction, and to correct the balance.  The loco's center of gravity should be over the middle of the drivers, sometimes a little forward of the center of the drivers is better.

I suspect if you purchase the 2-10-2, and it doesn't pull as much as you hoped, a couple ounces of lead will greatly enhance the pulling ability.  I'm sure the motor is strong enough.  Definitely has enough drivers.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Jonathan

full maxx

jbsmith

bobwrgt

My 2-10-2 runs just fine on 22in radius. As a matter of fact it also runs just fine on 18in but not all of them run as good on other peoples track.

Bob

full maxx

thanks for the replies...looks like my little engineer will be getting one from Santa

WTierce1

Quote from: bobwrgt on November 23, 2010, 12:50:47 PM
My 2-10-2 runs just fine on 22in radius. As a matter of fact it also runs just fine on 18in but not all of them run as good on other peoples track.

Bob

Same here.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Doneldon

maxx-

Don't overdo the weight.  You might find it helpful to monitor the amperage your loco
pulls as you add weight.  A little too much will give you a great hauling engine but it will
run a little hot and wear out faster.  Too much weight and you'll come close to stalling it
out and it will wear out even faster, like almost right away.  I suggest adding weight
only until the amperage increases by a third over the pre-added weight draw.  More
is risky.
                                                                                 -- D