How do I put DCC sound into a Spectrum Light Mountain

Started by darticus, November 23, 2010, 08:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

Really new to this but is there room in the tender on this loco for the decoder and speaker? Ron

simkon

There are only two N scale locomotives that come with factory installed sound, an E7/8/9 A-B pair and a 2-8-8-2 with long vandy tender. It may be possible to install a sound decoder, but it would definitely not be an install for a beginner, this would be an install best suited for an expert to complete because a lot can go wrong, and you may need to use a different tender to have sufficient space.

darticus

Thanks I might need that new longer tender if I can get a good price. Ron

skipgear

Quote from: simkon on November 23, 2010, 08:52:24 PM
There are only two N scale locomotives that come with factory installed sound, an E7/8/9 A-B pair and a 2-8-8-2 with long vandy tender. It may be possible to install a sound decoder, but it would definitely not be an install for a beginner, this would be an install best suited for an expert to complete because a lot can go wrong, and you may need to use a different tender to have sufficient space.

The above is bad information....

Current loco's available with sound installed:

Athearn F45/FP45
Athearn UP Challenger
Athearn UP Big Boy
BLI/Precision Craft E7
BLI E8/9
BLI E6 (Due next year)
BLI PA's in various configurations
Walthers N&W Y-3 (2-8-8-2 w/N&W specific tender offered in PRR, UP and N&W)

Adding sound in a Light Mountain is not too hard although you need to run wires beween the loco and the tender unless you do a dual decoder setup.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

darticus

Are the trains you mention available in DCC with factory sound ? People  have told me that the light mountain would need a bigger tender to add a sound decoder and speaker. Ron

simkon

Quote from: skipgear on November 24, 2010, 06:05:29 PM
The above....
...Adding sound in a Light Mountain is not too hard although you need to run wires beween the loco and the tender unless you do a dual decoder setup.
Yep, did not check the Athearn catalog...besides the 3 Athearn offerings there is only the BLI E6/7/8/9 (which I mentioned), the Walthers 2-8-8-2 (which I mentioned), however, I neglected to mention the BLI PAs, I missed it in the catalog I guess... Hey skip, since you think the install is so easy why don't you volunteer to do the install for Ron at no charge?

skipgear

Quote from: simkon on November 24, 2010, 06:37:09 PM
The above....
...Adding sound in a Light Mountain is not too hard although you need to run wires beween the loco and the tender unless you do a dual decoder setup.
Yep, did not check the Athearn catalog...besides the 3 Athearn offerings there is only the BLI E6/7/8/9 (which I mentioned), the Walthers 2-8-8-2 (which I mentioned), however, I neglected to mention the BLI PAs, I missed it in the catalog I guess... Hey skip, since you think the install is so easy why don't you volunteer to do the install for Ron at no charge?

The 2-8-8-2 does not have the Vanderbilt tender from your original post, it is very specifically a N&W Y-3. N&W wasn't really fond of Vanderbilts. The Walthers Y-3 happens to be the best sounding/running N scale loco yet. I love mine.

I consider the E6, E7, E8/9 all unique loco's because they have very different car bodies.

Sorry, would like to help but I have too many other projects on the bench right now, but it's not that hard to do. Here is a sound install in a Trix 2-10-0. The tender is the same as the K4 tender which is smaller than the USRA tender used on the Light Mountain. The lead box is the speaker enclosure.

The IM AC-12 could also be considered a sound unit as the Digitrax SDN144 decoder will drop into it with no modifications. Truely a 15 minute install at worst.

Edit - Forgot a few available sound locos:

Kato Kobo GS4
Kato Kobo NYC RDC Jet
ConCor offered PA/B sets where the B unit was crammed full of sound decoder.

Almost every modern Kato loco now has drop in sound available for it from MRC and a few from Digitrax. They can be installed in a matter of minutes.

Tony Hines

darticus

The train in this pic I hope is N scale as thats what I want to do.
All the trains you mention have DCC and sound I think you said. That would also be a great thing for me to look up for a nice working DCC sound starter. How do you find out about what trains were build with DCC AND SOUND FACTORY? Is there something to look in to find them or are these them?
Where can I find Walthers N&W Y-3 N scale? Thanks Ron

Quote from: skipgear on November 24, 2010, 07:17:40 PM
Quote from: simkon on November 24, 2010, 06:37:09 PM
The above....

The 2-8-8-2 does not have the Vanderbilt tender from your original post, it is very specifically a N&W Y-3. N&W wasn't really fond of Vanderbilts. The Walthers Y-3 happens to be the best sounding/running N scale loco yet. I love mine.

I consider the E6, E7, E8/9 all unique loco's because they have very different car bodies.

Sorry, would like to help but I have too many other projects on the bench right now, but it's not that hard to do. Here is a sound install in a Trix 2-10-0. The tender is the same as the K4 tender which is smaller than the USRA tender used on the Light Mountain. The lead box is the speaker enclosure.

The IM AC-12 could also be considered a sound unit as the Digitrax SDN144 decoder will drop into it with no modifications. Truely a 15 minute install at worst.

Edit - Forgot a few available sound locos:

Kato Kobo GS4
Kato Kobo NYC RDC Jet
ConCor offered PA/B sets where the B unit was crammed full of sound decoder.

Almost every modern Kato loco now has drop in sound available for it from MRC and a few from Digitrax. They can be installed in a matter of minutes.

skipgear

The best reference for past and present N scale locomotives is Mark (Spookshow's) site.

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/locos.html

He has taken the time to buy and review one of almost everything that has been available and his reviews are very fair and reasonable. You can search by brand, style, etc.

As far as the Walthers Y-3, they are long sold out. The first production with sound sold out in the first week of release. They did a second run of them which sold out within a month of the release. There is currently no info on them doing a third run. I figure in a year or so, as the economy rebounds, and demand increases, they will do another run. Currently in the resale market, used copies are selling for just about full retail. We have one left (UP paint) in our shop. It's the last one that I know of setting on a shelf anywhere around us.

Just for fun, here is what one sounds like....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Aup369Shg
Tony Hines

darticus

So you have a new one for sale? How much If I could raise some money? What did you think of its sound? Ron