News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

variation in power between locomotives

Started by jhoyos, November 25, 2010, 12:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoyos

Hello friends.

I'm learning the subject to build and buy my first train set. I liked a set of expansion of 18" radious curve and so I have been advised to acquire a 2-8-0 loco. Looking at the catalogs, I really liked this locomotive: "Spectrum HO 83402 4-4-0 steel cab", but more for aesthetic reasons. My specific question is: There is some variation in power between a 4-4-0 loco, a 2-8-0 and 2-10-2, for example? The largest (2-10-2) can carry more cars perhaps? If that is so, then how many cars can tow up to the 4-4-0 and how the 2-8-0?

As mentioned in my previous post, I live in Cali, Colombia, and in my country there are no representatives or reseallers of the Bachmann, so I make a purchase very successful because a mistake or bad decision would be very complex and expensive to solve.

Thank you very much friends for advice.

bobwrgt

As mentioned in the other message you should try to go with 22 inch radius curve if you can. Then you can run just about any size engine with no problems. The 2-10-2 and 2-8-0 will pull about the same size (length) trains with no problems. The Spectrum 4-4-0 a little less but still a good runner. If you have any hills or your track is not level with tight curves and lots of switches the trains won't pull as much.

For the last few years Bachmann made a Spectrum 4-8-2 light and heavy mountain both were excellent engines and pulled very well. I have 8 of them. Even better than the 2-10-2.  For some reason Bachmann chose not to make anymore for this coming year. I am sure they will in the future as i feel they were the best HO engine they made. If you can find one still around you will be very happy.

Bob

jward

as a general rule of thumb, the more driving wheels a locomotive has, the more cars it will pull. in steam locomotives, the number of drivers is denoted by the second number. a 4-40 has only 4 drivers, while a 2-8-0 has eight. with diesels, they are usually referred to as 4 axle (or b-b) or 6 axle (or c-c)......the number of axles times 2 is the number of drivers.

that said, while larger curve radii are generally better, 18" radius curves are suitable for 4 axle diesels and smaller steam locomotives up to about a 2-8-0. larger 8 drivered steamers such as a 4-8-4 will probably not like 18" curves.

on a related note, extra long trains will not like small radius curves, and may try to roll over to the inside of the curve if they are too heavy. what your 4-4-0 or 2-8-0 will pull shouldn't cause problems on 18" radius curves.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bobwrgt

In model railroading the number of drive wheels has nothing to do with the pulling power of an engine.
The 2-10-2 has a blind driver in the center that provides almost no contact with the rails. That makes it a 2-8-2 for pulling. Alot of the pulling power has to do more with the weight of the engine and the gearing design by the engineers dept. that designed the model. The Bachmann 2-10-0 does not pull much for the number of wheels (small drivers). The Spectrum 4-4-0  with large drivers will out pull the Spectrum 4-6-0 with small drivers.
Athearn made a 2-8-2 mikado that was a perfect engine but would not pull anything. All the weight was out of balance and on the rear drivers. The other sets of wheels almost did nothing. What a waste.
The Bachmann SY 2-8-2 has no weight and is another engine that does not pull much. The Spectrum 4-4-0 with large drivers will pull as much as the SY.
The best engine Bachmann ever made was the Heavy Mountain 4-8-2 with plenty of weight, good gearing, and all wheels driving on the track. It also will pull as much or better than the 2-6-6-2 Spectrum.
Proto (Walthers) steam engines without traction tires also won't pull much for the size or number of drivers.

Bob