News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need F-9B Union Pacific

Started by taco006, November 30, 2010, 06:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taco006

Hello, I just recently bought the Union Pacific Highballer set and found out that there was also a matching B Unit made back in the 60's-70's. I can't find any info on it outside of this picture
http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/files/bachf9bbox.JPG
If anyone has one I would really like to buy it off you. I have already contacted Bachmann sales and cs about it and they no longer offer it. If anyone has one please let me know. thank you.

rdxpress

For something like that B unit your best bet will be a Trainshow and swapmeet or Ebay
                         Good Hunting Gdub

doghouse_thumper

If you're still looking, Minitrix (Aurora Postage Stamp) made a B-unit, dummy or powered, for their F-9. Some people called them F-7s actually.  They show up on Ebay quite a bit.

Albert in N

I own a Bachmann F-9 Highballer set as well as an old MiniTrix F-7 powered A and dummy F-7 B (was called Aurora Postage Stamp trains back in early 1970s and before).  They are compatible size since both are slightly larger than true N scale.  Compared to my correct size Bachmann Spectrum F-7 AB set in SP colors, you can see that the Bachmann F-9 A is slightly over sized, as is the MiniTrix F-7.  The MiniTrix F-7 B is a dummy (unpowered) unit and is painted in correct UP colors with gray roof and red roof line and lower body pin stripe on both sides.  The Bachmann UP F-9 (from the Highballer set) is mostly solid yellow with yellow roof and appears to be a fantasy paint scheme.  You could always paint your F-9 A roof gray to match if you buy a MiniTrix UP F-7B.  MiniTrix items are old and seldom cost very much at train shows in my Dallas/ Fort Worth area (usually $25 or less). 

Albert in N

Had to shut down early last night due to storms returning.  Want to add that MiniTrix N scale German made trains were generally available new up to early 1990s, but all had the Rapido couplers (old style ugly standard N couplers).  Most used MiniTrix locomotives have been converted to MicroTrains couplers compatable with Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers, like your F-9 has.  Otherwise, it is very easy to switch couplers on MiniTrix locomotives to either Bachmann or MicroTrains couplers.  I only paid $5 for my MiniTrix F-7 B dummy unit at a train show, and it even had the original Aurora Postage Stamp train box.  An option for a scale sized F-7 UP A-B set would be to purchase a Bachmann Spectrum F-7 A-B set and paint and decal for UP.  Otherwise, you can find new or used Kato F-3 UP units powered in both A and B configuration.  The Katos will cost more.