News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC info

Started by screen48, November 30, 2010, 09:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screen48

Is there a place to go for more info on the EZ-Command like you see about the compitition. I just purchased the system and loco to try DCC and want to read more. I bought on ebay and got a great deal. I read on trainboard how good the Bachmann low cost units were so for the money I could not beat it for a DCC start.

simkon

Here is more info on the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC System: If you read all this then you'll learn a great deal about DCC and the E-Z Command

QuoteBachmann is pleased to introduce an affordable Digital Command Control System (DCC).

We're pleased to offer the next step in digital command control (DCC) with the E-Z Command® Digital Command Control System.  In partnership with Lenz Elektronik GmbH, Bachmann incorporates the latest digital technology to bring you  DCC system that is both easy to use and affordable for novice and experienced hobbyist alike. E-Z Command® allows modelers to digitally control speed, lighting, eight special functions and direction of multiple locomotives.  But unlike other complicated DCC systems, E-Z Command® simplifies the programming process by simple main-track address programming.

E-Z Command®  is compatible with all DCC locomotives manufactured by other manufacturers.  E-Z Command®  has been extensively tested by the NMRA and is certified to meet and conform with all of it's standards and recommended practices for digital command control.

E-Z Command®  is sold as as a separate controller or packaged together with a digitally equipped locomotive.  The E-Z Command® system is sure to command its place as part of your model railroad empire.

Features include:

* digital command control of multiple locomotives in N, HO and On30 Scale
   * plug and play compatibility with all DC and DCC systems
   * digitally controlled speed, direction, lighting, and sound
   * one-button address and direction on-track programming
   * ability to control up to 10 digitally equipped trains
   * convenient space to write down the identification of the locomotive
   * 28 speed step control
   * 1 amp AC wall pack power supply
   * simple plug-in wiring
   * DVD and printed instructions
   * built-in control for existing non decoder equipped locomotives

complete E-Z Command®  manual in PDF format
Setting up The E-Z Command® digital command system

Setup is a snap:  For ease of use the plugs and sockets are sized to prevent accidentally plugging a connection into the wrong socket.

Sockets on the unit:

Output to track  - use supplied plug in wires for E-Z track® or connect supplied connection wires to existing wires  that connect to your railroad
     I/O socket - connect further devices such as the E-Z Companion®   by plugging the device into this port.
     Input from Bachmann analog controller - to control the one non digital locomotive using a separate controller
     16 volt input  - use the 1 amp plug in AC wall power supply provided.

Selecting the locomotive you wish to operate

Simply press the button for the locomotive you wish to operate.

Each locomotive has an address which is selected by pressing the corresponding button. You can write down the identifier of the locomotive next to the button it is assigned to.

The direction of travel is selected by pressing one of the direction arrow buttons and the desired speed is controlled by turning the knob.

It's that simple!

Bachmann has included a convenient pad next to each button so that you can write down which locomotive is assigned to each button.  This will help you remember which button activates which locomotive.

Assigning a locomotive to a new address:

By default, a new decoder-fitted locomotive will have an address of 3.

Activate the locomotive by running a short distance and bring the locomotive to a stop.
     Press button 3 (ie  the button for the locomotives existing address)
     Keeping button 3 depressed, press and release the STOP button
     Release 3 (the address button) - the Power LED is now flashing quickly
     Press and release the button for the new address the locomotive is to be set to - the locomotive
     moves slightly to indicate its response and the power LED is now flashing slowly.
     Press and release the STOP button.

Note: During programming you should remove all locomotives from the track other than Bachmann Decoder on Board locomotives or locomotives with a decoders that have a feature called "Service Mode Decoder Lock".  Locomotives with decoders that do not have this feature that are left on the track will also be programmed to the new address information.

Reversing the locomotive's forward direction:

On Digital systems, forward and reverse are relative to the the locomotive and not the orientation of the locomotive on the track. When you tell the locomotive to go forward it moves in its predefined forward direction. Sometimes you may wish to redefine the forward orientation of a locomotive.  It is possible to set  the direction that the train will move when you tell it to go "forwards" be

Activate the locomotive by running a short distance and bring the locomotive to a stop
     Press and hold the locomotive's address button.
     Keeping the address button depressed, press and release the STOP button
     Release the address button - the Power LED is now flashing quickly
     Press the reverse direction button to set the direction opposite to its normal direction
     Press and release the address button - the locomotive
     moves slightly to indicate its response and the power LED is now flashing slowly.
     Press and release the STOP button

Note: During programming you should remove all locomotives from the track other then Bachmann Decoder on Board locomotives or locomotives with a decoders that have a feature called "Service Mode Decoder Lock".  Locomotives with decoders that do not have this feature that are left on the track will also be programmed to the new locomotive direction information.

Controlling Locomotive Functions:

In DCC you can control many additional functions in a locomotive in addition to speed and direction.  Bachman Decoder Equipped Locomotives allow you to turn on and off the locomotive headlight as well as dim the headlight. Other DCC locomotives can have many more functions for the control of sound, special lighting effects and even coupler control.  E-Z Command can control up to nine independent functions.

Press the yellow Function button. This button toggles between function control mode and selecting a locomotive to operate mode.

The flashing LEDs adjacent to the button indicates the address of the train under control. When the led is flashing you are in function control mode.

F10 switches the basic lights function on and off. On most decoders this is directional and is useful guide to the direction that a train will move when the control knob is turned.

F1 to F8 control further functions on customer fitted advanced specification decoders.  (F1 dims the headlight for Bachman decoder equipped locomotives.)

When you are through controlling functions and you desire to select a new locomotive to control press the yellow button again and the address led will become solid indicating that the system is in address mode.

Digital and analog:

E-Z Command® can operate:

* Nine digital trains as 1 to 9 and one analog locomotive as 10

or, using the item 46605 analog controller as a plug in

* Ten digital trains as 1 to 10 and one analog locomotive controlled separately by the 46605.

Note: When operating an older analog locomotive be sure to monitor it closely.  Some analog motors are subject to overheating and damage when they are run for long periods of time on  DCC systems.

Running multiple trains:

In DCC control it is possible to run multiple trains at the same time.

Press the address button of the first locomotive you wish to control

Operate the train using the speed knob, the direction button or the function buttons.

Press the address button of the second locomotive you wish to control.

The first locomotive will continue to operate at the speed and direction you instructed it to operate in step 2.

The locomotive  that matches the address button that is lit can now be controlled by the speed knob or have its direction and functions controlled.

Note: The number of locomotives you can control at the same time is limited by the track power available and the power needs of the individual locomotives.  Normally 3 or 4 Bachmann Decoder on Board locomotives can be run at the same time.  The track power can be increased by using a separate power booster (sold separately-available late 2005)

Remember - the system relies on you to prevent crashes - If a collision is imminent press the STOP button to cut  power to the track. While power is cut you can correct the problem by changing the speed or direction of all locomotives  by pressing the appropriate address button and changing the speed knob.   Trains will resume their new assigned speeds and direction when the STOP button is pressed  second time.

Bachmann had designed  E-Z Command® with expansion in mind so that it can grow as your needs grow.  On the rear of your system is an I/O port which is your window into the future.

E-Z Command® Walk-Around Companion (with Connector Wires)

Item No. 44907

Control multiple trains from convenient locations around your layout or coordinate independent operations between a primary and a secondary user.

plug-and-play connection to E-Z Command® Control Center

duplicates all locomotive addresses set on E-Z Command® Control Center

simultaneous throttle control of several locomotives

E-Z Command® Walk-Around Companion Connector Panel (with Connector Wire)

Item No. 44908

Used in conjunction with the E-Z Command® Walk-Around Companion, multiple connector panels let you establish a series of control points virtually anywhere on the perimeter of your layout.

plug-in ports

oversee railroad operations from convenient locations throughout your layout

simple connections to all brands of track

E-Z Command®  5 amp Power Booster

Item No. 44910

Our 5 amp booster provides extra current to the track for the control of an increased number of DCC locomotives on your HO, N, or On30 layout. Also appropriate for DCC equipped large scale locomotives.

DCC Basics
What is NMRA DCC Digital Command Control?

DCC represents the next generation of model railroad control.

In 1994 the National Model Railroad Association established a set of standards for the digital control of model railroads. These standards define a standard method for the digital signals that are sent over the rails for the purpose of controlling model railroads. The Bachmann E-Z Command® set of products have been built to follow these specifications.

Because DCC is a standard you can use products from a growing set of model railroad manufacturers.  Currently over 30 manufacturers support these standards providing a wealth of product across the industry that the modeler can select from.

DCC is E-Z to use and a lot of fun to operate. With DCC you can easily operate multiple trains on your railroad without the need to install complicated wiring.  And with DCC you can also control multiple functions on your trains such as lights and sound.

What is an NMRA C&I Warrant and why is this important to me?

Being able to mix and match a wide variety of products from multiple manufacturers is one of the great advantages of DCC. With so many manufacturers providing product it is impossible for any manufacturer to ensure that their products interchange with all other products on the market.

To address this issue the NMRA established a testing service.  Manufacturers of any model railroad equipment can submit their products to the NMRA and they test these products to all of their Standards and Recommended Practices.  E-Z Command®  and Bachmann Digital on Board locomotives have been extensively tested by the NMRA and is certified to meet and conform with all of it's standards and recommended practices for digital command control.  This means that your Bachmann products will work with any other manufacturers products that are built to these NMRA DCC specifications.

Bachmann is very pleased that all E-Z Command®  products have earned this prestigious seal.  It is just one more measure of the quality and attention to detail that we have undertaken to provide a high quality control product.

E-Z Command System Features
E-Z Command®  has lots of features but is it expandable?

Yes!  In 2005 Bachmann will release several new components that will plug into the I/O port on the back of E-Z Command.  These include a walk around Companion unit that an additional operator can use to control trains anywhere on the layout.  We have also announced a control unit for turnouts and a 5 amp booster.  As your needs expand expect our DCC offerings for DCC to expand as well.
Can I operate my existing non DCC locomotives on my E-Z Command System?

Absolutely.  Bachmann E-Z Command®  supports the operation of one non decoder locomotive at a time.  When button 10 is pressed the speed control and direction buttons control the non decoder equipped locomotive.  Alternatively you can plug the AC power pack into a Bachmann analog throttle and plug the throttle into the E-Z command using the supplied cable into the E-Z Command.  When this is done the analog throttle controls the non decoder equipped locomotive and Button 10 controls a digital locomotive with the address of 10.
Can E-Z Command control  DCC light and sound functions?

Yes. E-Z Command®  can control up to nine DCC functions (F1-F8 plus headlight).  Controlling a sound equipped locomotive is very easy.  The functions are all on/off. For a short whistle you have to press the button twice quickly.
Does E-Z Command support electric momentum?

Yes. When you slow down or speed up your train quickly the decoder in the locomotive will use its built in momentum to control the speed change of the locomotive.  Acceleration and Deceleration are a function of parameters stored in the decoder.  Bachmann decoder equipped locomotives come with these parameters preset for best operations.
Can I operate multiple locomotive in a consist?

Yes.  E-Z Command® supports what is referred to as basic consisting.  Using Bachmann decoder equipped locomotives or any other manufacturers locomotives that implement service mode decoder lock you can easily assign multiple locomotives to the same address while the locomotives are anywhere on the layout. Since you can also set the locomotives direction on the main line you can set up both head to head or head to tail consists.
How many trains can run at once?

E-Z Command®  comes with a 1 amp power supply which can supply 1 amp of DCC power to the track continuously and up to 1.5 amps peak power. The number of locomotives that can be operated at once depends on the current draw of the locomotives chosen.  Modern locomotives require less then 1/4 of an amp while older locomotives can draw much more. You can typically operate 5 or more Bachmann decoder equipped locomotives at a time.

Can I use 2 or more E-Z Command®  units to have more than 10 trains on the layout at once?

Not at this time.  E-Z Command®  can currently control only 10 DCC addresses.  Several locomotives can be assigned to the same address and thus be controlled as a consist.  You can of course also select up to 10 locomotives from your larger fleet to have on the layout at once, reprogramming the locomotive decoders for each session to suit the address numbers available.
What happens when I overload my system?

If you overload your E-Z Command® system or a short occurs the 'stop' led and address '1' led will flash rapidly.  This tells you that a short has occurred.  After a short period of time a built in protection circuit will cut power to the unit.  For additional safety it is best to remove power from the system.  When the short is removed and the unit cools down the system will resume operation.

If I use a bigger power pack can I get more current out of the unit (>1.5A) or do I need to use another brand power booster between the E-Z Command Control System and the layout?

The E-Z Command Control System is rated at 1.5 amps. You should use the transformer supplied with the unit.  If you need additional power then you should connect your E-Z Command to a more powerful DCC booster  for more power.
Can I use E-Z Command® with a more powerful DCC Booster?

No Problem. Bachmann has announced a 5 amp booster for 2005.  E-Z Command can also be used with other boosters on the market.  E-Z Command is compatible with the NMRA  power stations built to conform to NMRA RP-9.1.2  Opto-isolated (Current) Interface.  These power stations are built  to handle input voltages of up to 22 volts.  Digital plus by Lenz power stations are built to this specification.

To connect to another booster connect the track output wires from E-Z Command and connect them to the booster control bus input.  For Lenz equipment this would be the C and D connections.

Configuring locomotives to operate on E-Z Command®
What is a programming track?

A programming track is a low current section of track used to check out  new decoder installations.  A separate low current programming track is needed only for the first time programming of locomotives with user installed decoders.  The low current protects the decoder if the installation was performed incorrectly.

To install a programming track on your E-Z Command®  control system, connect a resistor in series with one track wire to an isolated section of track.

The recommended resistor is a 100 ohm 10W Wirewound Resistor, Radio Shack Catalog #: 271-135.

Do I need a programming track?

E-Z Command®  was designed to be "easy" to use.  While a separate programming track is useful for new decoder installations it is not needed for normal operations.  E-Z Command® implements a DCC feature called "Service Mode Decoder Lock".  This feature allows you to reprogram the address or direction of travel for any of your locomotives while on the main line which eliminates the need for an isolated programming track. You can still install a programming track if you desire but it is not an absolute necessity.

Can E-Z Command program decoder CVs?

Currently the E-Z Command®  Digital Control System can only reprogram the decoder's address and the direction of the decoder.  It cannot currently be used to program decoder CVs. There are more advanced systems and �stand alone� programmers that can do this.

Once programmed, the settings in the decoder registers are stored permanently and will determine how the decoder controls the locomotive. You can tailor your locomotive using an advanced programming system and use it with those settings on E-Z Command®.

simkon

Also this is the first time I ever got this message:
QuoteThe message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters).

screen48

WOW!!!! Great info and so fast Thanks! The more info we have the better we can work with our hobby. Looks like I made a good choice.

richg

Below links are a small start. Store the links in Favorites. You will need them.
I probably have fifty DCC links but do not want to over whelm you.
Take your time and do not jump quickly. DCC is suppose to be a hobby to be enjoyed.
A lot of DCC is not plug and play sometimes.
Concentrate first on the layout wiring. Get a multimeter and learn how to use if you do not have a meter now. A decent meter can be had for under $10.00. I have three meters like that.
Ask here first to prevent magic smoke.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/2-8-0/index.html

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn2/DCC.htm

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/dcc_articles.htm

http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/

http://www.soundtraxx.com/

http://www.ncedcc.com/

http://www.siliconvalleylines.com/dcc/presentations.html

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm

Rich

tscdata

Your documentation states that one can dim loco headlights with EasyCommand DCC.  Please tell me how to do this.

Also what are the uses for the remaining funtions?

simkon

Push the yellow function button then push the #1. F10 turns the lights on and off and then for a standard Bachmann (non-sound) decoder functions 2 through 9 do nothing. If you have a sound loco the other functions will control different sound effects and possibly toggle a smoke machine or other lighting effects.

richg

Quote from: Hunt on December 01, 2010, 08:27:25 PM
Time and space used to duplicate already available information in the Bachmann website could have been avoided with Click Here for Bachmann's introductory information about the E-Z Command. Use the links in the MENU box there for additional product and use information. There are some helpful photos and illustrations there.

Reality version.
Many do not: Click Here. read FAQ pages, Start Here.
They post the question and then bail and come back to look for an answer to their question.
Some do not even look for the proper forum and will never read this thread or any thread not for them.
Forget searching for a possible answer already in the forum.
I belong to a variety of forums for over eight years and see this a lot and some are not MRR forums.
Some people spend as little time as they can on their PC. Get in. Get out.

Rich

engineerchris

New to the model train world after 30 yrs. Thank heaven for sons !! Will the DCC controller operate turnouts/switches for track changes? Are the easy to use?

simkon

It will operate only turnouts with DCC, you must buy a secondary power source for non-DCC turnouts.

hawaiiho

Quote from: engineerchris on December 09, 2010, 12:25:22 PM
New to the model train world after 30 yrs. Thank heaven for sons !! Will the DCC controller operate turnouts/switches for track changes? Are the easy to use?

The simple answer is Yes to both questions.
It will operate DCC Turnouts.

However the programing instructions that were shipped with the DCC Turnouts were not all that great.
The Bach-Man had posted a very understandable procedure on this board.
I kept a copy, but can't it's at our other home.
Possibly someone else has it or can direct you to it, or The Bach-Man can re-post it.
Once you understand the programing procedure, they work great within the limits of the total number of DCC Turnouts the EZ Command can control.

Jim Banner

Yes and yes.  Before a turnout can be operated by DCC, it must be fitted with a decoder.  Bachmann DCC turnouts have decoders built in.  Conventional turnouts require an external decoder to translate the commands your DCC command station sends out.  Programming these external decoders require a more sophisticated DCC system than the basic E-Z Command.  On the other hand, a more sophisticated DCC system will allow you to operate more than just 10 turnouts.

Conventional (non-DCC) turnouts can also be operated conventionally.  However, it is NOT necessary to buy a secondary power source for them if (a) you already own one or (b) you run them using DCC via a decoder.

Please note that DCC turnouts versus non-DCC turnouts refers only to the way the mechanical parts of the turnout are operated.  It has nothing to do with running the trains on conventional dc power or running them on DCC.  I am guessing you knew this already, engineerchris, but some others reading this thread might not.

Jim

P.S. welcome back to the wonderful world of model railroading.   There have been many big improvements since the 1970's.  Digital Command Control and the running qualities of affordable steam locomotives are but two of them.
J.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.