using my dc engines on my EZ Command dcc dynamis i just bought

Started by vburke001, December 09, 2010, 05:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vburke001

I have a 2 week old E-Z command walk around that lets me use 1 DC engine ,and I just bought a new E-Z Command Dynamis
wireless system ,I have 5 Dc Bachmann engines and I think I can only look at them and not use with this New Dynamis .I hoped it was Backwards compatible like the E-Z Command  Walk around  I am Bummed if i cant keep all of the new Dc Engines I purchased before going DCC

simkon

The Dynamis will not run any DC locos, and while the E-Z Command is able to, it is not the best idea,there is a chance that they may overheat or be damaged otherwise and no longer run.

jward

why not just convert the dc engines to dcc? there are aftermarket decoders to fit almost any locomotive.

that said, i really don't know why some dcc systems (like digitrax) support address 0 for dc locomotives and others don't.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

hawaiiho

If you have the space, why not do what I did. I have two totally separate layouts on the same table.

One DC(mine is a DC EZ Command) only and one DCC (mine is a Dynamis) only.

Works fine. I've had it set up this way for nearly two years and had no problems. Just make sure that you can't get a derail that shorts across both sets of track. And hopefully have enough presence of mind  not to mix up your locomotives. >gr<

Will

Jim Banner

With excellent quality decoders available for less than $16 each, following jward's advice makes a great deal of sense, even if you have to learn how to solder to wire in a decoder.  With any kind of luck, some or all of your locomotives have a socket built in and all you have to do is plug in a decoder.  Decoders with the proper plug wired on are still less than $20.  Once you are running DCC equipped locomotives, you will never want to go back.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

4x4ben

I would like to know if anyone knows if the frequency on a dynamis system can be changed.I have two
seperate tracks,but they are on the same layout.

simkon

If somebody else has a Dynamis system set up nearby you can throw a switch so you can operate them without interference. So if you have 2 separate Dynamis systems this would be an option otherwise there is not anything you can do.

4x4ben

Thanks for the info.I need to download the dynamis instructions,Got it from a friend ,but no instructions.Then i can see how to change the channel.

jward

4x4

dcc systems are set up so that a decoder will continue operating on the last instructions it received. you can run both your loops at the same time and toggle between the two locomotive addresses to make speed adjustments as required.
even if you are using two or more throttles to control your trains, the decoders will only respond to commands addressed to them, and ignore all others. there is no need to worry about frequencies......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Pacific Northern

Being able to run a DC engine is important to me as I have a number of older Rivarossi engines that I would on occasion like to run. I bought a DCC system that is why I purchased a Digitrax sysetm as it  will allow me to run a DC engine when I want.
Pacific Northern

jward

that dc running capability is why i bought a digitrax zephyr. that, and the ability to use my old dc power packs as additional throttles......i have run trains on a variety of dcc systems by comparison, and i've never regretted my decision.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA